Fire proofing

Mark Pringle

From a purely amateur angle, I've never known (in 25+ years) any AHJ requesting or insisting on a fire certificate for any of our drapes. The fire officer has also never asked the question during the umpteen inspections I've taken over those years.

That being said, it does behove any responsible venue (of course) to ensure that any soft goods ARE treated for fire retardency (there's no such thing as fire proof). If these donated curtains are of any age at all, I'd suspect that they will no longer be suitably retardent, though the only way to quickly test this is (ahem) try it! (Not really serious there.... :rolleyes:)

You can, of course, treat many fabrics with a recognised brand of spray, (eg Rosco Flamex), but whether this would be practical on velvet/velour I don't know....

/SNIP

though the only way to quickly test this is (ahem) try it! (Not really serious there.... :rolleyes: )

/SNIP

Just a quick tip:

If you need or want to test if a drape is fire-retardant, cut a small section from a seam at the back of the drape, usually you can get a piece about 1cm x 10cm without doing any damage to the drape.

Take outside (or above a sink), hold the sample with a pair of pliers and apply flame!

If the sample self-extinguishes when you remove the flame, it will pass the compliance tests. If it doesn't, have them treated!

I take fire safety very seriously, even if the venue or controlling authorities may not. Having seen the devastating effects of an, untreated, piece of fabric that accidentally fell over a groundrow, I believe we all have a moral obligation to ensure all fabrics in a venue are properly treated. And with the very simple, non-destructive, test above, it is an easy thing to do.

If you need or want to test if a drape is fire-retardant, <snipped sensible tip>
I have actually seen a fire officer on a routine, but surprise inspection (a few years back now) ask the SM if the cloths hanging were treated. "Yes" came the reply. And the FO proceeded to pick a corner of the nearest cloth (backed by a colleague with small extinguisher) apply a lighter flame.

Some said this was a little irresponsible of him, but certainly focussed the minds of those watching.

(Fortunately the cloth WAS adequately retardent and passed the test.)

I take fire safety very seriously, even if the venue or controlling authorities may not.
As should we all.

Common quote amongst my day-job Fire Marshalls etc is that fire safety (well, ANY safety, really) is EVERYONE'S responsibility.

From a purely amateur angle, I've never known (in 25+ years) any AHJ requesting or insisting on a fire certificate for any of our drapes. The fire officer has also never asked the question during the umpteen inspections I've taken over those years.

I have actually seen a fire officer on a routine, but surprise inspection (a few years back now) ask the SM if the cloths hanging were treated. "Yes" came the reply. And the FO proceeded to pick a corner of the nearest cloth (backed by a colleague with small extinguisher) apply a lighter flame.

?

?

I suspect you think I was being contradictory....

Not really - the first quote means I've never been asked for certification, the second recounted an occasion when the question was asked, but no request for documents - just a simple "Let's see, shall we" approach.

:rolleyes:

Archived