Technical Apprentices

Hi There.

I currently study in a 6th Form and work at a theatre on the Technical and Stage Crew. Im not really a person that likes to sit around in a class room so instead of going to uni to do a technical theatre corse, I was wondering if anyone knew any technical apprentices, ive had a look around but can't seem to find any. Any help would be greatful.

Thx Peter

I was wondering if anyone knew any technical apprentices

Hi Peter,

I am currently the Sound Intern at the Chichester Festival Theatre. Next year the Intern position opens up again. So you might want to give that a try.

Mind you, this is a sound position so it might not be what you are looking for.

Anyway, its a good place to start. I've learnt a lot since I've been here.

If you are interested you can contact Jonathan Suffolk, jonathan.suffolk@cft.org.uk He is the head of sound here.

Good luck, I know how hard it can be.

The alternative being to go for a purely technical, non-theatre related route and then side step. Being a qualiied sparky or electrical engineer is very appealing for lighting, electronic engineering for sound. Of course they aren't the only disciplines you'd need for each role, but as an apprentice electronic/electrical engineer myself in a very non-theatre-based role (Avionics) I'm finding a lot of what I'm studying very easy to apply to my theatre work in my spare time.

Yes you won't be "working" in a theatre, but you'll get a breadth of knowledge that can all be applied when you do move into a purely theatrical role.

You say you are not one to sit around in a classroom - but have you looked at courses at drama schools (as opposed to universities)?

I'm not suggesting that these are better or worse, and they do involve some classroom work which may not be for you, but a lot of the courses are fairly practical and you would spend a lot of time working on shows rather than theory.

Have a look at the Conference of Drama Schools website which gives general info, and from there you can go to individual college websites and check out course details.

For many small to medium size venues, the traditional hard split between FOH and backstage just doesn't work. So having a course that covers both makes a lot of sense.

As an example, it has been standard practice since the DDA for our technical crew to assist the ushers/usherettes with wheelchairs. They also assist FOH when it's busy, and it isn't unknown for the lighting or sound op to assist with evacuation of the audience in some circumstances. A degree in Stage Management also comes in handy dealing with promoters, agents and general contractual issues. The days of rigid demarcation are going - obviously in large venues it is not required to have such bendability, but I personally would not like to go back to the locked passdoor we used to have.

This may be so with FOH, I gess as I work in a big venue I didnt see it the way you explained.

I have looked at drama schools but so many of the courses cover such a big area and don't tend to look at one area. Also some people I have spoken to have said its best just to work your way up and get qualfications as and when you need them, however some say its better to go and get a degree.

Sorry if this sort of thing has been in another topic.

For many small to medium size venues, the traditional hard split between FOH and backstage just doesn't work. So having a course that covers both makes a lot of sense.

I'd definitely agree with this - as a stage manager, I'm entirely responsible for getting wheelchair patrons (and those who can't manage the stairs) into our auditorium, often assisted by the technical team if there are a lot of said patrons. Our venue doesn't have a FOH manager on duty during shows - the SM has that responsibility. Yes, we are only a 300-seat venue, and it probably wouldn't work in a bigger house, but having FOH skills, in my book, is important.

• 2 weeks later...

Now you post where you are its a pain (hint to update profile). At Abingdon college we do a Btec production course. I don't know how much you know from working at New Theatre, but we cover almost everything, at the moment we are making giant puppets.

You Have PM.

im wel into my lighting, when I left school I was in the same situation as you. I aplied for technical theatre cources and other related studies. I also applied for electrical cources and electronic. I then thought as a previous poster said, why not become a sparks. Im now in my 3rd year of a full blown electrical modern appretership. I work for thames water as a maintainance engineer fixing electrical sytems 3 phase up to 11 kv seroius stuff. I then do my lighting on the side using the wealth of knledge gaining form now doing a HNC at collage im correcting a lot of boxes etc made in the past.

Becoming a spark is a good move, you can still do your lighting or stage work when you come out your time. If you got a good trade behind you then you always got something to fall back on

Archived