To Whom should Stage Management Applications be addressed?

Greetings,

I'm currently scouring all sources for a contract this autumn, particularly in Stage Management as I have really enjoyed getting to grips with DSM/SM roles this summer on a rep season in a park. I often use the stagejobspro website but sometimes there isn't a name given to address the covering emails to. I often take a look at the company's website for information, and usually find a technical manager contact to address when applying for just technician roles. For Stage Management is there a protocol in the hierarchy? Is there any protocol generally? I think it is polite to find someone to address in these letters, but perhaps I should go with Sir/Madam if it's not clear? I have done this once or twice in the past, but I'm not sure how well this is taken.

Any advice well recieved, as I draft the covering letter!

Ros xx

If you're responding to an advert, it should be clear who or how to apply.

If you're "cold calling" then call up and ask who you should approach. You don't necessarily need to talk to that them - just get a name.

I get loads of emails and letters asking about stage management work. I read them all, but I'm much less likely to respond to those that can not be bothered to find out my name and approach me direct. (unless of course you've got a killer CV).

T

Stage management is a bit odd - the heirachy should be like a pyramid, but isn't. I know quite a few people in their 40's who are still ASMs because that is were their strengths are - some are really experienced, mature people who can think on their feet, look after their own area - props is a good example. They can make, repair, and manage them. They cannot get a DSM 'step-up' because they are too good. The producton company won't 'promote' them because they need them to do what they've always done, and wouldn't be able to replace them with somebody as good. When the DSM goes, they can replace him or her easier! Same thing with DSMs - some are very blinkered, totally in control and utterly dependable - they could have personality problems - they don't get included in the real activities, just sit and control them. Many are pretty strict to a routine. Losing the pink pencil is a life or death situation. These you hang on to. The other ones who say "sorry" every few minutes as cue get misplaced or forgotten are much nicer to rotate through, till you get the blinkered one. Stage Managers will be either technical, or not. The technical ones hate paperwork, and triviality and simply make sure things happen. No doubt a bit short in the tact and diplomacy stakes - but those that are born diplomats have a happy company, but often get walked over in the process. Oddly, they don't seem to mind. I've always thought the Stage Management TEAM is the important thing.

Autumn is a difficult time of the year, summer jobs coming to an end, and next on the list is panto. You may have just missed the panto recruitment period - the ads in the Stage haven't been repeated I note.

Maybe doing the rounds of the panto companies ready for November could be a place to start, but my guess would be that they probably have the SM/DSMs, but could still be short of ASMs.

Traditional theatre companies are still worth talking to, but I would think that most sorted out their autumn people a while ago.

Good luck, anyway.

Stage management is a bit odd - the heirachy should be like a pyramid, but isn't.

I agree and it is something I have often considered.

Although the hierarchy seems to suggest a flow of experience and seniority from the bottom (ASM) to Top (SM), the roles in stage management are actually are actually suited to different types of people and their talents and qualities. This is not really replicated in Wardrobe, Carpentry or the LX department, in which the jobs are more linear depending on seniority.

When I left drama school, my peers who were DSM material did just that - on smaller shows and then got promoted to bigger ones. The role of Stage Manager is more of a Company / Production Manager suited role while ASM's are a different beast again. That's not to say that Stage Management don't get promoted, it's just a funny old business.

Not half as funny as TV, when being a Third Assistant Director is really a lot grander sounding that it is.

Back on topic (ish) - I agree that the panto hiring is probably sorted for most companies but the christmas period is a great way have fun as get yourself about as a keen stage management type. Because Pantomine is very labour intensive then there will still be jobs, on larger shows, on the stage crew, electrics crew or even dressers still not filled. It is also quite tricky for SM's to cover each job for the whole of a run, due to the other comittments of the casual staff.

Don't forget to look about to see if there is any of these "lesser" jobs going with the larger companies or theatres. Your contract will be limited to the run of the show, but sometimes it is useful to be a "small fish in a big pond" as you can learn loads by working with top professionals and get your face around the place. This also stands you in good stead when doing your SM/DSM work in the future.

I also agree that the best thing to do is to call the theatre and find out who is actually doing the hiring ( CM, PM etc. ) and get their name. If you can get a direct phone number you may feel that you can follow up your application with a call. If you seem interested and call then you have a better chance to connect with the hirer.

Ultimately, a lot of the jobs in your career will be something to do with someone you have a connection with, even if it goes way back to a summer shows you did, or youth theatre you were in. I am still working with people today that I worked with 20 years ago, even though our lives and roles ( and industries ) have changed. Most people I know in the business are the same. New contacts come and go but the the most solid career relationships go back a long way. Most business is about people and it still is a case of as much as WHO you know as what you know.

Good Luck.

Thanks for all the replys - I think sometimes it is helpful to look at the question's larger context in this way, and I do agree, small fish, big pond is very useful. I am aware that I am only beginning in this career, having graduated last year, and mercifully been employed quite well since. The contacts I'm making are hopefully those solid foundations to base future steps into this work, and I know I'm still finding my feet but it is encouraging to hear how even those random smaller gigs can pay off!

Application now in, with an adressee. Many thanks, Ros x

Archived