Speaker Jack Connectors.

Josh 2

Hi all,

A simple 'speaker jack' connector question:-

Are the ¼" jack plugs and sockets that are used on some speakers/amps the same as the plugs/sockets used for line level signals (mic's, guitars etc)?

I'm in the process of making up a speaker loom and the normal audio jacks seem (to me perhaps) to have much too flimsy solder terminals to attach 2.5mm or 4mm speaker cable.

I'm wondering if these are some kind of special plugs/sockets and if so where I can get them?

Thanks,

Josh

All jack plugs are NOT created equal....!

There are jack plugs and there are jack plugs.

There are plugs of excellent quality and build suitable for high powered speaker lines, and others I wouldn't use on a pair of headphones.

Search CPC or Maplin for 'jack plug' and you will find some that give a stated current rating (those are likely to be best for speaker lines).

If you are looking at putting 2.5mm or 4mm into a Jack for your speaker line, could I suggest that you take the plung and use the dedicated Speakon connector.

these will stop your jack being pulled out when your amp is connected and causing damage to it.

Jacks have never really been designed for speaker lines nor XLR's really... Use a speakon.

you can get them from VDC(we are a re-seller for them), Maplins, CPC or at worst (if you have moeny to burn)RS

Regards

Brett

Thanks guy's,

Yep, agree that Speakon is the best bet.

Reason I'm onto jacks is my amp/deck has bothe Speakon and Jack outputs, both can be used at the same time or seperately. I've made up my 8 wire loom with two Speakon-Speakon connectors and I could go Jack-Speakon for the other two (which I have been pondering). I kind of decided that if I terminate the loom the same as the amp (Speakon and Jack) I could cover any eventuality without adaptors.

I've bought a couple of Neutrik male jacks (for the amp end) and also a couple of (can't see any brand name) female line jack sockets for the tail ends. The Neutrik's are just about fine although I'd like something even beefier solder tab wise, but the female in-line connectors are total toy town.

I¡ll have a look around those on-line stores and see if I can find current ratings... thanks for that tip.

Much appreciated guy's.

Thanks,

Josh.

As the others have mentioned... if possible go for Speakon. If you have to use jack then the Neutrik NYS225 Jumbo Jack will suit

Thanks Chris,

Saw this after I posted my last. That's just what I want... plus the female in-line. I'll go looking.

Josh.

The Neutrik's are just about fine although I'd like something even beefier solder tab wise, but the female in-line connectors are total toy town.

Why not just run speakons and make up a couple of speakon to male jack adaptor leads? It would seem to me to be far easier to standardise on one connector type and use short adaptors where needed for the other. You can get speakon junction boxes if you need to split a feed.

I'd definitely recommend avoiding jacks on speaker lines! I used jacks on home-built PA cabinets when I was young and foolish, and they gave me hassle with poor reliability at high power, so they got changed to XLR. I'm assuming from your OP that the two sets of sockets are parallel-wired internally if they are used on the same amp channels. In this case both sets of speakers might be equally well connected to the Speakon.

AS Above! Migrate to Speakon as a best practice solution. Panel mount speakons come in small rectangular flange for hard (metal) panels, and large round flange for wooden panels.

If you really must use jack, consider TRS (stereo) jacks and use the tip and sleeve, (isolate the ring contact) then there is no chance of a short as someone pulls a speaker plug out when playing.

Archived