haze fluid

TaylorDon

I was told that I could use DF-50 fluid in my American DJ Haze Generator and I would get better output, anyone know if this is true? I'd like more output that what I'm getting now.

he also said I could use white mineral oil from a drug store, is that true? and what would the output be like?

Using fluids not recommended by manufacturer will invalidate warranty and comes with potential H&S risks.

Chances are any white mineral oil will work fine in this type machine but I am doubtful you could ever increase output. You're more likely to just get subtle differences over purity and residue.

You can use DF-50 fluid in your American DJ Haze Generator but you won't get "better" output and as Nic says you will invalidate the warranty. While you can use any white mineral oil you need to try and match the viscosity to that of the original fluid for best results, unfortunately I have no idea what that is. If you get it wrong you're unlikely to damage anything but the output will not be as good as it should be.

If you get it wrong you're unlikely to damage anything but the output will not be as good as it should be.
Actually, it IS possible to cause damage by using the wrong fluid - not a dead cert, but likely.

Many machines operate at different temperatures from other makes (and some have different temps for different types of fluid as per their own manuals). Using non-approved fluid can therefore sometimes lead to the fluid not getting properly converted from liquid to fog, leaving residues that can clog up the internals/pumps etc.

Been there, seen that, paid the repair bill for the tw*t that fed the wrong fluid in!!

I was talking about the wrong viscosity of mineral oil. Even the most viscous stuff available isn't enough to block up the American DJ Haze Generator, which incidentally doesn't have a heater.

I was talking about the wrong viscosity of mineral oil. Even the most viscous stuff available isn't enough to block up the American DJ Haze Generator, which incidentally doesn't have a heater.
Fair enough - point taken. :P

Nope, DF-50 fluid is one hundred percent white mineral oil, as is the American DJ stuff. As I suggested before when it comes to oil based hazer fluid the only difference is the viscosity. Having used both the American DJ and DF-50 fluids I can say they are near identical and I doubt there is any difference in output. The perceived differences are probably down to natural atmospherics such as temperature, humidity and air currents.

When a company manufactures a hazer or smoke machine they're generally looking to make a certain percentage of the profit from the sale of consumables, much as with printer manufacturers and ink cartridges. This is the main reason they don't like you using other peoples fluids in their machines and why you get such a variation in the cost of near identical products.

Ok so maybe there wasn't more output. It was in a room that I haven't used the hazer in, so it may have appeared to be thicker.

Do you know if there is anyway to put some kind of filter (carbon maybe) in front of the intake fans on a moving light fixture so it doesn't take in so much of the haze and gunk up it's insides?

I don't know of any way to reduce build-up. Some fixtures are better designed than others, isolating optics from airflow over lamps and maybe even have their own filters (ie. VL's), but I would not try adding my own. Airflow on movers is critical - the temperature sensors tend to sit close to normal operating. Any obstruction can easily tip them over the edge. Worst case is thermal sensor doesn't kick in and lamp explodes instead.

I totally understand the problem though! I made the decision to move back to water based to avoid the residue. An annoying compromise but it had to be done. When I was running oil I found filters on amplifiers essential but would block up quickly and require regular cleaning.

Archived