rack lights

ian hatch

I need to get a rack light/s for my outboard gear, I tried the blue LED cool-light but it was very dim.

I'm thinking about getting a 2 way goose-light for it, but can't decide between LED or normal bulbs, which is brighter?

Are all LED rack lights fairly dim?

Any thoughts or recommendations

Having used both types in various scenarios, I would be tempted to stay with the traditional lamp type. The LED type has a much longer lamp life, obviously, but you just dont get the same spread of light than you do with a lamp.

Traditional lamp every time!

Having used both types in various scenarios, I would be tempted to stay with the traditional lamp type. The LED type has a much longer lamp life, obviously, but you just dont get the same spread of light than you do with a lamp.

Traditional lamp every time!

Thanks for the reply.

There are various types, slide-out, gooseneck etc, any recommendations

Dare I say it.Behringer do a nice unit, 1u rack fitting with a perspex tube that is lit & spreads light quite nicely, it also has the advantage of having some IEC distribution on the rear, quite reasonably priced too!!

They look good to me. Only 2 questions!

1) The spec sheet shows the unit as 44mm high but then states that the lamp is mounted on a 19" x 2U plate - which is it?

2) Where can I get these from in the UK? I've tried searching but only found a reference to blackcatmusic but they don't list them on their website.

Thanks,

Michael

Try Beadlight.

They work for me and my eyes are very old!!

KC

Thanks for the lead

Did you find you had a problem with shadowing from the light onto the lower pieces of rack equipment, that was the other problem that I encountered.

Dare I say it.Behringer do a nice unit, 1u rack fitting with a perspex tube that is lit & spreads light quite nicely, it also has the advantage of having some IEC distribution on the rear, quite reasonably priced too!!

I found the Behringers to be fantastic for looking at and not very good for seeing with.

Incidently, I know of someone ( not pro technician ) who tried to lift a sound rack using the striplight as a handle. Needless to say, it didn't last long.

I have a strong preference for the really small CFL. I had 15w pigmy lamps in the rack and needed a new one almost every time it was moved. Put a 3w coiled CFL in there and it lasted for two years!

An important factor is the ability to see to work WITHOUT illuminating all the world.

Archived