Best 'Light Jockey' desk?

Evolution_Mark

hmmm, lets see,

the new models have four separate DMX universes = 512 *4 = 2048 channels, now 2048/7 [miniscan hpe, for example] = 292 fixtures.

lots and lots. :D

could have a fair few lamps in a rig to use all those.

as far as reliability goes, the pearl that I use is a tempremental b*gger that seems to go on programming strike occasionally. ah well - it was a salvaged item anyway, we have been living on borrowed time for ages.

cheers

andrew

Would agree. It is not now many fixtures or universes your desk is capable of controling but how easily and practically you may use its output. If it takes you a long time to select a fixture during a live run is this a good thing even if it means you can control a large number of fixtures.

Theoretically, yes, but for ease of use, one mover per add/swap is nice and pleasant, so 30.

120 is the maximum as patched to the swop buttons. (there are 4 'pages')

The Pearl 2k does slow down a bit after 60 or so. The Pearl 2k4 I've not used that meny on yet, but it does seem a bit quicker.

I'm quite interested as to why the pearl seems so popular for live busking on here. I've used both the pearl and the azure quite alot recently, and found the azure much more friendly for busking with its 50 playback buttons.

I haven't quite cracked the pearl yet, just wondering what I?m missing? How can I get the same level of busk-ibility as with the azure? Strikes me that you can only get 30 playback buttons, which only control the pallets?

I've not studied (actually looked very hard at all) the manual, so there?s probably something blindingly obvious that I?m missing here :P

Also, the same graphics tablet for the pearl also plugs into azure, if anyone was interested :** laughs out loud **:

The pearls rolacue (the faders, bttons and roller) at the bottom is the bit that correspond to the preset buttons on the Azure.

You can use the desk for busking in several ways, here are two of my preferences:

1. Set up all your preset focuses (gobos, colours, fx) on the Focus buttons 1-30. The store pan tilt chases, positions and shapes onto the rolacue. When operating you choose the movement from the rolacue and add colour/gobo in from the presets. Make good use of the "Tap Twice to Set Chase Speed" button- it is your friend! "Generic" fixtures (i.e. ministars, strobeflowers, etc) can also be stored to the rolacue.

2. If you have more programming time, move everything down to the rolacue. Divide it into 4 sections horizontally- the first does pan tilt chases, the second does colour ,the third does gobos and effects and the fourth does generic fixtures. Every roller page is divided in the same way, to reduce the problems of switching page. You can then operate entirely off the rolacue section. If you have done the LTP bit correctly when setting up any movers then you can use the add buttons on the rolacue instead of the faders for gobos and colours etc.

Archived