Best 'Light Jockey' desk?

Evolution_Mark

I am speccing a job, at [a famous central london club], and was wondering what desk would best suit them, my current thinking is an azure, as the room is multifunction (not always a club, sometimes corporate and/or live events). possibly a Q-commander if they decide they're lacking in money.

I don't want to put a PC system in - they want a hands-on operation style. Busking really, but equally quick sub/memory selection.

I don't really know much about light jockeying, but from what I've heard I'd expect a Pearl to be the norm for a club environment, with an Azure as an alternative. I definatly WOULDN'T spec a Qcommander as the lack of split programming mode makes it very restrictive.

Also look at the Zero88 Mambo Frog.

the pearl would get my vote. though the azure could be better for a club - it's not possible to have the board 'beered'.

we have a masterpiece and apart from the touchpads that work on conductance in a hot, moist atmosphere, it is a fine board.

I would prefer the pearl if I was opping but you do need to have a fair bit of prior knowledge to run it well.

cheers

andrew

I would go for a Mumbo Frog, but I have never used a pearl. I no they are a very big name in the industry. What are they like, how much are they??

Sam

I guess you mean a Mambo Frog here :D.

A pearl is a desk that was designed by avolites to handle moving lights. They are an ideal desk in a night club enviroment because they can have pre-programed chases that the op can take over. Also they can handel way more fixtures than the Mambo frog. In reality as much as a like the Frog range, I would not say that it was suitable for this enviroment.

My vote goes to .... The Pearl

Avo is definately the way to go, in my opinion. Pearls are wonderfull desks (Ducks to avoid torrent of abuse from Hog users). However the Azure copes with the fluids associated with clubs better. They are very quick to programme and have a huge number of subs to play with. Added to this, most touring lampies know how to use them. They are more expensive than some of the other desks mentioned, but you get what you pay for.

We've still got one of the first Pearls made (number 044) in daily use and it works fine, quicker than some of the newer ones that tour in!!

Thank you all!

I am a Pearl programmer/operator myself, I find them very very useful for nightclubs/rock... busking basically.

This is also my favourite desk, and wanted to check whether it really is one of best, or just my own prejudice :rolleyes:

The trouble with this is, it is not simple to run for the un-initiated. So I'm going for the azure, the replay unit for the pearl :)

Best decision. I did repairs at the last company I worked for and the number of Pearls that came in and came in again and again with faults that are down to mechanical problems switches on the rotating drain pipe, faders going intermittent, power supplies dead (what do you expect from cheap PC power supplies,components loose inside from vibration). as well as faulty Lcd's and back lights. Not what you want from an install desk.

reliability is not what Avo would have you believe on this product, but then the design dates from the early nineties with only a few cosmetic changes to the outside and the original multi pcb's integrated into one.

I hear from a tech at Avo that a number of semiconductor chips have been discontinued by the manufacturers and avo have had to buy stocks to keep making the console. so I guess we will see a brand new product in the near future.

Hope the azure is more robust, not had to work on one, so maybe.

Ziggy

Archived