rigging clamps to use in marquees

avdavesound

hi everyone,

can anybody tell me what types of rigging clamps you would use to rig lights and truss in a marquee?

I know theres loads of different types of marquees out there, but is there a few standard types of clamps out there that could cover me in a few different situations? and where can I get them?

thanks.

I believe the name is spelt "cader" clamps.

These usually fit most clear span marquee's but best to check with the supplier of the marquee as to what they recommend you use. In my experience they have a SWL of 250Kg but you also should check with the marquee company as to what they advise is the safe point loading of their marquee's and total load per span.

I have found that usually it's a cader clamp, with a bow shackle to chain block, spanset/strop to truss with another cader clamp attached to the perlin or beam with a steel drift through the truss back up to it as a safety (taking into account the shock load should it fall of course).

Check out http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?show...c=21393&hl= which is a thread that went OT about rigging lighting in marquee's recently.

Jimbo

edited for spelling

Hi,

This has been covered before, try searching here and th'internet for Kader clamp.

But always in the first instance refer to the structure supplier and /or manufacturer, if you don't know who either of them are then find out, most important. Best to get as much information first, before turning up on site...

HTH

Andy

thanks. where would be the best place to get them?

They can be expensive to buy (for what they are), so if you only need a few, get some hire quotes from the larger hire firms...

Interestingly, www.essentialsupplies.co.uk keep a CADER clamp =- don't know what that is ;)

Seriously though, phone around, if you find them under £15 a go, please post!

Andy

Kader or cader clamps are not often available from Showtec do try us at Essential Supplies who normally have 100 or more in stock, see

http://www.essentialsupplies.co.uk/acatalo...Clamps_186.html

Moderation: If you work for a company you are recommending it is essential (sic) that you say so in your post. This post has been edited accordingly.

• 5 months later...

We designed and had manufactured our own type pf cader clamp and had them sent off for testing.

We work very closely with a marquee company who were able to provide an old used piece of multi standard 20m clear span frame. (which is being phased out for new heavy duty clamps)

I went down to the company who were testing the clamp to re create the situation where we would be intending on using it.

1ST scenario was set up with the lining ( starcloth) which actually slides into the cader, the test astounded me, seeing as there is less area for the cader clamp to fit into the cader I was totally expecting the aluminium to break under load! how wrong I was, we finallty started seeing deflection in the clamp when pulling nearly 2 tonne, the clamp started to unfold.

2ND scenario is when there is no starcloth in the cader and agian clamp started to deflect around the 2 tonne mark

I purposely used a old piece of frame because we all know how rough they get treated by marquee companies!

I do have pictures ill try to dig out showing the results!

Marquees are a lot more load bearing than most H&S bods think due to there ability to withstand up to 2 tonne of snow weight on the roof!

The outcome of this was the company happilty wrote a cert saying the were happy to have the clamps pulling 200kg, of course this is only if it is installed correctly by a trained person on the best way to install

Just a note to say that any piece of rigging equipment should be marked with a WLL, Serial Number and be traceable to the manufacturer. If you using a clamp to fix to a structure that you intend to rig from it should be marked and certified accordingly.

In the past we have sourced various kader style clamps from many manufacturers but they arrive without any markings at all.

We have recently sourced an alternative product that comes with WLL info, manufacturers mark, CE mark and serial number all clearly identified on the product.

As has been previoulsy stated, particularly with temporary strutures such as marquees you should be aware of the loading capaity of the stucture before rigging anything from it.

Adam

AC Lighting

Just a note to say that any piece of rigging equipment should be marked with a WLL, Serial Number and be traceable to the manufacturer...

Surely that's a requirement under LOLER and and subsequently the machinery directive and therefore applies only to lifting equipment and lifting accessories. Correct me if I'm wrong but rigging equipment used solely for suspension has no similar requirements.

Archived