rigging clamps to use in marquees

avdavesound

Really? Do you have a reference for this? I was fairly certain this wasn't the case and a quick look through them on opsi.gov.uk seems to confirm this, unless I've missed something all references are to lifting and lowering.

AFAIK....

Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER 98)Regulation 2 (1) – defines ’lifting equipment’ as ‘work equipment for lifting or lowering loads and includes its attachments used for anchoring, fixing or supporting it’.

and therefore, IF the Cader clamps were ONLY ever used for supporting a load I.e it was dead hung, they would be covered by PUWER - Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations.

They should still have a WLL or the old SWL markings, and adequate markings to show a uniquely identifiable number such as a serial number or stock number and a marker to show when it was last inspected/tested, in this case, for just supporting a load, every 12 months.

However, if the clamps were used or likely to be used for lifting or lowering, then the LOLER regs would be applicable. The equipment would need a certificate of conformity, WLL/SWL, uniquely identifiable number, marking for the last time of testing (I.e coloured cable tie's etc), and be inspected every 6 months.

The grey areas appear to be in equipment such as speaker hanging brackets, projector brackets, G or C clamps (what ever your preference of name is) etc.

When I was responsible for kit maintenance at a company full time, when our designated inspector would come in, I would have him check all of our 'rigging' equipment, speaker hanging brackets, Unicol brackets just to be on the safe side to accompany the warehouse tech's inspections and inspections by the tech's onsite before rigging.

Just my 2p's worth

edit due to internet dropping out and doing weird things to my post

...They should still have a WLL or the old SWL markings, and adequate markings to show a uniquely identifiable number such as a serial number or stock number and a marker to show when it was last inspected/tested, in this case, for just supporting a load, every 12 months.

I agree the items fall under PUWER however I disagree with your interpretation. While they need to be strong enough for their intended purpose and a visual inspection prior to use should probably form part of your safe system of work I certainly don't see the need for individual identification in a similar way you don't expect a scaffolder to individually number everyone of their couplers or indeed a LX to number their hook clamps.

This is of course just my personal opinion and shouldn't be construed as legal advice, I could also be very very wrong. :)

Really? Do you have a reference for this?
What equipment is covered by the Regulations?

Lifting equipment includes any equipment used at work for lifting or lowering loads, including attachments used for anchoring, fixing or supporting it. The Regulations cover a wide range of equipment including, cranes, fork-lift trucks, lifts, hoists, mobile elevating work platforms, and vehicle inspection platform hoists. The definition also includes lifting accessories such as chains, slings, eyebolts etc.

Taken from here.

I guess the interpretation of that, as far as the entertainment industry is concerned, is that a kader clamp comes under LOLER unless you will NEVER attach any means of liting (chain hoist, chain block, pulley, etc.) to it.

Loler requires that;

(in reference to lifting equipment)

"All equipment should have a 'birth certificate' to show that, when first made available for use, it complied with the relevant requirements"

/SNIP/

"When equipment is retested and / or examined in service, a record of the results should be kept. The records should be cross referenced to enable the history of the equipment to be traced"

Quote from "Lifting Equipment Engineers Association" booklet published by LGH Rigging post 'Entertainment Lifting and Slinging' course.

Without a serial or stock number, I'm unsure how you would be able to trace a specific piece of equipment.

I appreciate that D or Bow shackles cant easily be marked except with a punch type device, but most other equipment has an area where a stock number can be applied.

I'm not familiar with builders scaffolding, so I'm unable to offer any reply to their interpretation of the reg's or special dispensations.

edit to add a reply.

"a visual inspection prior to use should probably form part of your safe system of work"

This isn't optional and is a mandatory requirement that the person using the equipment does inspect the equipment prior to use, be it a cader clamp, beam clamp, shackle, piece of truss, hanging bracket or spanset/round sling etc.

Not to say that that does happen every-time :) but "should".

I was referring to rigging equipment that is not lifting equipment so LOLER does not apply.

Cader clamps are frequently used for the suspension of static loads without also being used for lifting and lowering when a genie lift or telehandler is used to lift the truss/equipment into place for example. Scaffold and kee clamps are frequently used to suspend fixed lighting bars, booms etc which are in my opinion much closer to the Cader clamps use than the Cader clamps are to lifting equipment.

The real question is how the Machinery Directive applies to Cader clamps not intended to be used for lifting but even I can't be bothered researching that one!

the machinery directive only seems to refer to:

The directive covers a wide range of machinery. Machinery is defined as: 'an assembly of linked parts or components, at least one of which moves, with the appropriate actuators, control and power circuits, etc. joined together for a specific application, in particular for the processing, treatment, moving or packaging of a material.'

It also covers an assembly of machines, interchangeable equipment modifying the function of a machine and 'safety components'.

Although I cant find any reference to static load suspension, the HSE does state that:

What you need to do to comply

You must ensure that the work equipment you provide meets the requirements of PUWER. In doing so, you should ensure that it is the following:

0. Suitable for use, and for the purpose and conditions in which it is used

0. Maintained in a safe condition for use so that people’s health and safety is not at risk

Inspected in certain circumstances to ensure that it is, and continues to be, safe for use. Any inspection should be carried out by a competent person (this could be an employee if they have the necessary competence to perform the task) and a record kept until the next inspection.

If a record of inspection were required, then the piece of equipment would need some way of identifying it individually.

15 By definition, lifting equipment is work equipment. The definition of 'work equipment' includes 'machinery'. This should be interpreted widely to include, for example, a gin wheel, because such a device is a simple machine (rather than an appliance). Any work equipment used for attaching loads to it should be classed as an accessory for lifting.

16 'Lifting equipment' includes the attachments used for anchoring, fixing or supporting it.

quote - http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/90-4.htm

If the clamps were only ever going to be used to suspend static loads, then I would 'guess' that only PUWER would apply, but if they were used to lift something, then LOLER would obviously apply.

There doesn't seem to be any definitions specific to our application, but might be covered under another industry for the temporary installation of rigging points?

Archived