4ch dmx switch pack

Guest Super-Show-Lighting

Hi there ive recently got my hands on a new set off 8way stage blinders, and im looking to c if anybody knows off a site or sumthing that does a kit for a 4ch DMX switchpack that I can itergrate into the lights. The bulbs as most off u may know r 650w each totaling up to a draw of 21 amps per full bank, so im looking for a pack that can hanle a min off 6Amp a Channel with a total load at any giving time 24Amp,. If anybody even has skimatics that I can work from that would be gratfully appreciated , Thanks Ta Joe

Try This

That took 10second in :o , why don't you try it? Also it would be nice if you could use proper english as well.

:) here mate u don't have to be so cheeky bout it , I tried goggle and couldn't find what I'm looking for , I need a board that I can build thats gonna be small enough but powerful enough to fit inside my blinders

Well I'm planning on using the casing as the heat-sink , if its a must I will put a fan on the side , one thing im not sure about an that is does anybody know if blinders r meant to be run continuously or just flashed , cause I ran just one half in my bedroom a few Min's ago ant the paint ON the lamp grill started to burn off , thanks Joe

In which case, you may like to have a look at this here. The relays are volt free, so you would have to work out your own power for the lights, but as the datasheet says, the relays will handle up to 10A and there is 8 relays per board. Why would you want to put it on a switch pack anyway, whats wrong with a dimmer?

DWE 650W 120V lamp, its 2 in series guess, has a rated life of 100 hours and you`ve encountered run very hot.

There more usually uded intermittently beacause of heat, lamp life and they really are blindingly bright.

Using a dimmer be a lot easier and probably extend lamp life slightly.

In which case, you may like to have a look at this here. The relays are volt free, so you would have to work out your own power for the lights, but as the datasheet says, the relays will handle up to 10A and there is 8 relays per board. Why would you want to put it on a switch pack anyway, whats wrong with a dimmer?

thanks for that , the reason why I don't want a dimmer is because I intend only to flash them and when u kill the power to them them dim slowly anyway because there so hot , I intend to use triacs cause over time relays will just burn up, bit pointless. Looking More for a very compact or custom kit , plus the reason why I want 4ch is because some ideas Ive had is to flash them in sequence on my rig I have two off these units BTW, basically each unit will be able 2 flash four sets of two

Thanks Joe

easiest way is an optocouple with a built in zero crossover network feeding the gate of the triac,and low voltage switching of the leds in the optocoupler,if you want a sequencer an 555 timer and a 4017 works well.

well I know how to use the optocoupler my main problem I finding a DMX receiver with 4ch outputs, but was really hoping that somebody may have already tried something similar and already has sum schematics ,ta Joe

easiest way is an optocouple with a built in zero crossover network feeding the gate of the triac,and low voltage switching of the leds in the optocoupler,if you want a sequencer an 555 timer and a 4017 works well.

CA3059E, originally manufactured by RCA. Zero crossing detector IC that feeds a triac directly. Should be still available.

Made a few switch packs using this chip in the early 90's :D Just choose the right triac capable of supplying the power. Our's used the TIC246D Triac.

They get a tad hot though ;)

well I know how to use the optocoupler my main problem I finding a DMX receiver with 4ch outputs, but was really hoping that somebody may have already tried something similar and already has sum schematics ,ta Joe

Try post 4 :-/

BTW unless you really need quick switching, more than couple Hz, transistor driving big relay lot more load tolerant.

thanks for that , the reason why I don't want a dimmer is because I intend only to flash them and when u kill the power to them them dim slowly anyway because there so hot , I intend to use triacs cause over time relays will just burn up, bit pointless. Looking More for a very compact or custom kit , plus the reason why I want 4ch is because some ideas Ive had is to flash them in sequence on my rig I have two off these units BTW, basically each unit will be able 2 flash four sets of two

Thanks Joe

To be honest by the time you've custom built the DMX interface and switching circuit your probably going to end up with something thats more expensive and less reliable than a cheapo dimmer pack and that will do nothing the dimmer can't do. Most dimmers at the lower end of the price range are SCR fired anyway, so if you run it at 100% on, then turn it off you'll achieve exactly the same effect. As you said the lamp filaments dim slower than the electric current so to the observer there will be no difference between switched or dimmed, the dimmer also gives you the option to reduce the brightness if it gets too much in certain situations, which it can with blinders.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_showtec_m...dmx_uk_vers.htm

£60, will fit on the back of a blinder nicely, DMX on board and you could even power a 240V fan off a spare channel to cool it if needs be. Yes its showtec, but it will everything your wanting to do.

The other option is that if you want an easy no hassle, out of the box DMX fired blinder effect, get a Martin Atomic Strobe.

Edit - obv for an 8 way you'll probably need 2 of those dimmer packs per blinder, so £120 :D

http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_showtec_m...dmx_uk_vers.htm

£60, will fit on the back of a blinder nicely, DMX on board and you could even power a 240V fan off a spare channel to cool it if needs be. Yes its showtec, but it will everything your wanting to do.

Might have some problems using multidims.. seeing as they only do 5a per channel, according to all the specs Ive just double checked on a few pages that google's brought up.

650w x 2 (remember, have to be wired in pairs seeing as their 120v each) = 1300w/240 = 5.41a

You could push it, and stick in a slightly higher rated fuse, being that its the individual channel fuses that apparently limit it to 5a per way. The triacs in these things are 16a IIRC, but it depends if the rest of the guts will handle that slight extra bit of ampage. I'd hazard a guess that all would be fine, but not sure if upping the rating of the fuse would have warranty invalidation implications..

Just some thoughts I thought I'd air..

Tom

Archived