Help with Masterpiece programming

Rocket

Just a thought - have you spoken to the people at PULSAR ????- I have always found them very helpful.

As well as an instruction manual they do ( or used to do ) a instructional video - they also do programming courses........ they may help...

Just a thought - have you spoken to the people at PULSAR ????- I have always found them very helpful.

As well as an instruction manual they do ( or used to do ) a instructional video - they also do programming courses........ they may help...

No - I was just thinking earlier actually that I might do that. I have to say, they're certainly one of the most efficient companies I've ever worked with. I e-mailed for the upgrade at ten to twelve on Monday, and it arrived on my doorstep on Wednesday morning. The postmark showed that they had actually sent it on the monday, so if it hadn't have been for the postal strike it may actually have arrived on the tuesday!

Still no luck :)

Try it this way...

1) Program 2 scenes to set the min and max tilt (Scene1, pad 1 or sc1.1 and sc 1.2)

2) Program 2 scenes to set the min and max pan (Scene1, pad 3 or sc1.3 and sc1.4)

Before programming chases it's wise to clear the chase by (first selecting the chase you want to program then...) repeatedly pressing the <reverse manual step> pad' (display will show 'del'), if there is old data in the chase you will know because it rev step back though the chase. If you don't clear the chase - old scene data may left to run in - causing chaos - not a 'good look' !

3) Program the chase for the tilt using the scenes you just programed sc1.1 and sc1.2 (use chase memory1, pad 1 or ch1.1). Don't forget to set the chase gen to cosine, slow speed and <1shot/repeat> set to repeat.

4) Program the chase for the pan using sc1.3 and 1.4 (on ch1.2) , setting chase gen to sin after you program it, again slow speed and repeat.

5)Program an environment, say memory 1, pad1 or E1.1. First clear the environment, by turning it on and looking to see if any chase, scene or channel lights come on, this means scanning through everything. The easiest way is to look at the channel masters first (if any channel is active it means that something is programmed into that environment and must be turned off. You may have to press <slider action> pad to toggle the view to channel levels, then scan the 6 output select pages and see if any channel is active.

If any scenes or chases light up, just raise and lower the corresponding fader to 0, then re save the environment.

Turn on the two chase scenes, ch1.1 and 1.2. Save the environment. Press and hold(for a couple of seconds) both <release sliders> and <slider action> to kill everything and anything (display will show A.OFF - all channels off). Then turn on environment E1.1. You should have both chases running. And you should see the shape. If you don't then use the channel view to see exactly what is going on, scan the 6 output pages to see if any channels light up. Know what channel is where. If you fixture has pan and tilt on channels 1 and 2 and head1 is patched to channel 1 and head2 to channel 19, then you know that pan and tilt is going to be on channels 19 and 20 or the first two channels on output page 2.

There are a few reasons why many people get into a mess with MP programming.... there is no 'erase' function as such. And it can be very easy to leave rogue channels left on. A quick way to erase a scene memory is to put the Grand Master to 0, press AND HOLD the <save output to scene> pad and press scene1 memory pad <S1> and then run your finger across the 18 keyboard pads. Repeat for any other scene memory banks. A way to clear all environments is get one empty then (as described above) then press AND HOLD <save environment of channels and chases> and run your finger across all 18 keyboard pads, changing environment back E1-3 as necessary.

Multi function pads mean you can get lost quite easily, you have to be aware of the color of the keyboard pad LED's, this tells you what 'mode' the desk is currently in. Red - Environments, Yellow-Chases and Green-Scene. Be aware of the slider mode - are they set to channels or keyboards?

If you still have probelms please post EXCATLY what your doing.

HTH

Andy

Thanks for the reply - virtually all of the above I'm sure I've been doing!!

I can only think that the point I'm getting mixed up is the chases. Say I were to run each chase individually - what will the chase for A) the pan and B) the tilt be doing? If that makes sense - so what will be happening if just C1.1 is on, and what will be happening if just C2.2 is on?

Thanks again! :)

Well, the Pan will be panning and the tilt will be tilting. Or they should be if the chases are correct...

I tested both types of programming (ie single and two step chases) and both produced reasonable circle movements.

You haven't described what results you are actually getting, so it's a little difficult to give further advice. But two things work in combination that effect the overall outcome enormously - even if the chases are correct. One is the speed of the chase and the other is the amount of movement.

A small movement (0-10%) and a chase speed of around 60-80BPM, gives a decent circle. Too large a movement and/or too slow a speed will result in a square.

If you use the single step chase method, you also have to use a scene to position the whole movement. Well two scenes one containing max pan and one containing max tilt. These offsets could be saved in the environment with the chases or could be in a chases themselves to move the whole shape around.

HTH

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

I had problems with chases and environments, pulsar we also very helpful and also a guy in leeds (cant remember his name) came down to help me and reprogrammed the whole lot for £100. Think he had a website masterpieceprogramming.co.uk

may be able to help if need be

Archived