Matrixes, or is it Matrixs' or maybe Martix's...

Dan (now in stereo)

The matrix sections offer a method of creating additional mixes from the main mix busses - normally a combination of the groups plus the L, R and C busses.

Some potential uses include a recording mix where the vocals to instrument mix are balanced differently. I also use these in theatres to create alternative mixes for front fills or under-balcony fills where the balance needs to be a little different.

Steve

I'll leave it to someone who knows a little more about sound than I do to explain it fully (but basically, an AxB - where A and B are the number of inputs and outputs - matrix allows you to route variable amounts of A inputs to each of B outputs). But what I can tell you is that the plural is matrices. :)

Damn Plurals

So presumably, you can send invidual channels to whichever matrix you choose, rathers than groups. or the otherway around? (maybe both)

You usually assign the channels to groups which can then in turn be routed to the matrices. The ability to route individual channels to a matrix output does exist but is rare. You rare more likely to encounter a Direct Inject input on a matrix output where you can insert another console/piece of equipment into the output path.

Poppadom.

You will find the ability to send individual channels along with groups to matrices on some digital boards, but this is rare (can't think of an example) for an analogue board. Being able to do this is more of an aux than a matrix.

Matrix outs are for creating alternative balances of your existing (subgrouped) mix, so in addition to the theatrical uses mentioned, they are used in the conference world for sending different feeds to different area, and for creating press and video feed mixes, and so that in multi site conferencing people in one site don't get deafened or confused by their own voices, and to keep feedback down, using a 'mix-minus' mix.

A good theatrical use is where you have a pit orchestra, and then the front rows cant hear the vocals over the orchestra, so you use a matrix out to drive everything but the orchestral reinforcement to little speakers along the front of the orchestra. This is also a mix-minus mix.

You can also use those matrix outs to provide surround audio, so you can upgrade yourself from "(now in stereo)" to "(now in surround)" :)

Aux sends are for creating alternative mixes of the channels (or subgroups, on desks that support subgroup aux sends), and are most often used for effects sends or foldback mixes. Aux sends come in two varieties, pre-fade and post-fade. Effects are usually (but not always) on post-fade sends, and foldbacks almost always on pre-fade sends. As a general rule of thumb, as the price of the desk goes up you get more aux sends, so a cheapest little behringer has one, and the big desks have a dozen, sometimes more. Also, as the price goes up, you get flexibility, from fixed, assigned pre and post send(s), to groups of sends switchable pre or post, to every send being individually configurable pre or post. I've yet to see a pre-fade subgroup aux send, but that doesn't mean such a thing doesn't exist. Some desks have stereo sends (which may be pre-fade or post-fade), so they have a volume and a pan knob per channel. Some desks with stereo sends let you press a button and they become two individual mono sends.

Post-fade sends are always post-eq, but the pre-fade sends may be pre or post eq, and are often changeable inside by adjusting jumpers or soldering. sends are pretty much always post-insert, though that is adjustable by jumpers on some desks, I seem to remember.

You will find the ability to send individual channels along with groups to matrices on some digital boards, but this is rare (can't think of an example) for an analogue board. Being able to do this is more of an aux than a matrix.
<Coughs politely>

Our A & H GL300 has a matrix set on-board.

(However, I've never had the time to work out how to use it...! ;) :) )

As do a handful of my boards.......

I perhaps worded it incorrectly. I meant that I cannot think of an analogue board off hand that has the ability to send each individual channel aswell as the groups and main outputs to a matrix output. Plenty of analogue desks have matrices, just not the "matrices pro edition" that can be driven from each channel individually.

Rob

edit :

sends are pretty much always post-insert,

Mixwizard is pre insert by default. Well mine were :)

One for the pet hates section, direct outs post insert....... what's all that about then?

Most of the time I'd prefer them pre-fade, possibly even pre-eq.

However, post fade can be handy if you have a single channel that requires reverb or delay; it saves using an aux send just for one channel.

You've all just hit the nail firmly on the head - on an analogue board it requires components and real estate to provide every possible combination of options one may require, but on a digital board, there is no earthly reason why you cant route anything to anything else, as it literally is just changing the address field of one instruction. having no performance penalty at all.

Archived