Historic Sound Equipment

Jivemaster

electrically amplified record players were introduced in the 1920's - in the theatre a "panatrope" was used for sound effects with a device for precise positioning of the needle and cueing of the effect, and I think they may have had two "plattens" (decks) and a facility to crossfade, but I'm not sure I trust my memory on this... this is the origin of the very old fashioned "pan cue" used as an alternative to "sound cue" - now pretty much obsolete, although I remember older colleagues using it when I started in the biz 25 years ago.... I don't know what date they became "industry standard" so to speak, but the ABTT archeology committee had information about them. I'd imagine they probably would be around by the 1940's, but may be wrong....

This website is about early electrical record players.

You could try browsing the Vintage Radio Restoration site or more specifically

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106

The Chalk Pits Museum at Amberley in Sussex has a large vintage radio collection so you might find something there. Wind up gramophones with hidden horns were still popular up until the late 30's although many wireless sets started to incorporate gramophone inputs which could be connected to a separate turntable. I have a Columbia turntable from that era which still uses the old fashioned needles with an extremely heavy (by today's standards) bakelite arm.

Cheers

James.

Archived