Projectors

CCTV Chris

Hi Guys

This post maybe a little basic for this forum but I have been tasked to install six projector screens side by side, each with its own video source. That's not a problem but when I came to fit the screens I find that when they are pulled down, they all lock at different heights? There is up to 40mm difference in their lengths and around 60 - 70mm between "lock down" postions. The effect I was after was a dead straight bottom edge to the images but I have ended up with what looks like a line of washing! The supplier says its not a fault but siting screens side by side is unusual and the effect is the result of the random way the fabric is loaded onto the roller. I have removed the ends of the cartridge but can see no way of "adjusting" the points at which they lock. Any one else had this problem?

Hi Guys

This post maybe a little basic for this forum but I have been tasked to install six projector screens side by side, each with its own video source. That's not a problem but when I came to fit the screens I find that when they are pulled down, they all lock at different heights? There is up to 40mm difference in their lengths and around 60 - 70mm between "lock down" postions. The effect I was after was a dead straight bottom edge to the images but I have ended up with what looks like a line of washing! The supplier says its not a fault but siting screens side by side is unusual and the effect is the result of the random way the fabric is loaded onto the roller. I have removed the ends of the cartridge but can see no way of "adjusting" the points at which they lock. Any one else had this problem?

quite a common problem amongst the cheaper screens if I remember correctly (mainly use our own or DNP now) but if memory serves me correct the better screens allow you to adjust the tabs to fit.

I am sure someone will back me up ..... ;)

Could you pull down and lock all screens, remove the bottom bars on all but the shortest, (perhaps trim the screens until they're all the same size) then refit all the bottom bars at the same level?

Thanks guys.

I had considered two of these options already but discounted them because:

The location is a new "designer" control room and don't think the boys on the top table would think much of the screens tied down with cord!

The shortening of the screen would be a good idea except for the black frame which is adjacent to the bottom bar. (Hmm....unless I shorten them all and lose the bottom edge as I am projecting in 16:9 on a 4:3 screen (don't ask) and therefore have already lost the top edge)

Can anyone confirm lukemh's theory that a more expensive screen allows more accurate adjustment?

Or how about only dropping the screen far enough to leave a 16:9 portion visible - ie shorten all the screens to 16:9.

Yes - except that is what I am doing at the moment (hence the reason for losing the top part of the black frame) - but when they all reach the 16:9 size, they don't all lock at exactly the same position.............

Are we able to attach photos to these posts? Could be easier than trying to explain in words !!

First off be careful in them there end caps. From what I understand, if your not carefull, the springs can make a break for freedom, and then they become useless.

The next option could be electric screens and then set the end stops on these so they end up around the right level.

May be a bit too much work (but cheaper than replacing them all), but how about reattaching the cartridges up or down a bit to get a straight line, and then boxing in the wonky cartridges?

It seems like you have a fair bit of surplus wall, and it may actually end up looking neater boxed in from wall to wall with just the bottom bars protruding?

PS. I like those light fittings!!

PS. I like those light fittings!!

Perfect for throwing light all over the screens :-(

Blackbird has a good point with the idea of boxing in. And you may not even need to box in fully, just drop a 'border' in front of the screens from MDF or something simillar, to the height of the wall that the screens are mounted on. probably adds several ours to the build, but not too costly in terms of materials. Just make sure that the screens always run to the same stops every time.....

Some great ideas here, guys. I like the 'border' suggestion and will give this some serious thought. Still think it's PANTS that they don't line up and I would still like to hear from anyone who knows of any type of (more expensive?) screen that will give me the look I want.

Yes, those lights are pretty - but not what you want in a control room with a 2.1m floor to ceiling height and overhead projectors!! (which is why the screens have been moved forward to give the extra height)The lights are fully programmable but the only setting I'll be interested in is OFF! There are now blackout blinds on all windows.

Keep the ideas coming - this really is a great site. Thanks again.

How about this:

Fix each screen firmly to a piece of MDF which is the same width as the screen housing but about twice as tall. Put a slotted hole in each end of the MDF then fix the MDF to the wall with coach screws through the slots. Each screen is then adjustable for height and angle. Hide the whole lot from view with an MDF pelmet as suggested above.

If you want to be flash put some tricolour LED fittings behind the pelmet for effects!

John

Archived