Realistic Lighting Pre-visulisation & modeling

Jonny DMX

Hi all, I have been asked to provide a visualisation and or lux level calculations for a show that is coming up soon.

I have access to WYSIWYG, Vectorworks Spotlight and FormZ but am finding it difficult to model accurately what I need. The fixtures will be a number of bog standard fluorescent tubes arranged in a light box fashion and a number of large compact fluorescent flood lights with a pretty good reflector. The problem is that from what I can see WYSIWYG doesn't model non theatrical fixtures (like the standard fluorescent tubes) let alone give me the option to change power output or colour temperature. Spotlight and FormZ don't appear to be sophisticated enough to accurately model light in this way although the fixtures themselves can be modelled in more detail.

So my question is this: does anyone out there have any recommendations for allowing me to accurately model and potentially take readings (lux levels or colour temperature) from a computer model and or render? Substituting fixtures for 'similar' fixtures in WYSIWYG is not an option.

Many thanks

Jonny

Your after the IES photometric files for the fittings your using and the software that can understand them, things like Photopia or Agi32, cost and learning curve are pretty steep, mebbe sub that bit out to an architectural practice.

\Spotlight and FormZ don't appear to be sophisticated enough to accurately model light in this way although the fixtures themselves can be modelled in more detail.

Whilst I can't offer a recommendation, Spotlight isn't a pre-vis package in any way, shape, or form...sorry. If you're trying to use it for pre-vis, best to find something else.

Thanks for the help guys. By Pre-visualisation I meant just a render, I am not needing to run through cues or try and program anything from the computer model. Spotlight (which is a plug-in for Vectorworks) and FormZ do render in 3D and can model lighting effects, however like you rightly point out it is not sophisticated enough to accurately model specific lighting fixtures.

However for the record, having spoken with the guys at Cast it is now possible to model single fluorescent tubes in WYSIWYG. Lets hope that works now.

Cheers

Maybe Nick S meant that you need to have Renderworks along with Spotlight before you can get this output?

Anyhoo, check out ESP Vision. Although the main advantage of this software seems to be the real-time visualisation it does support many more fixture types than WYG. I've yet to have time to properly experiment. Can't help with the lux levels etc. though!

Cheers for that, I've had a quick look and seems impressive however all the examples shown have loads of smoke which, while it looks impressive, isn't what I'm after. Somebody else recommended 3D Studio Max; has anyone used this? got any reviews? my mate swears by it but I've not had a chance to have a proper play.

3ds is very much a 3d modelling application, designed primarily for animation. It is not geared towards simulation of stage luminaires etc. and it is quite complicated to do so just as with the other big players like Maya. That is why lighting oriented applications such as WYG/VW Spotlight and Vision exist. Commonly 3ds and similar (AutoCAD/VectorWorks etc.) might be used to create models for use in the lighting visualisation software, but not for the rendering itself.

You can certainly create a fluorescent lamp inside a box and render it etc, but it will be based on you placing & altering light sources/materials to get it looking how you want. It would not be any sort of accurate simulation of a real fixture in an environment.

I'm sure smoke is configurable in the full version of Vision.

It is not geared towards simulation of stage luminaires etc.
The fixtures will be a number of bog standard fluorescent tubes arranged in a light box fashion and a number of large compact fluorescent flood lights with a pretty good reflector.

Thats handy because I'm not trying to model theatrical fixtures! thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to have a bit of a play in WYSIWYG a little more now I have a version that can produce objects that can emit light. Also for anyone else that is curious I have heard that Dialux is pretty good at modelling non theatrical fixtures and there is pretty good support from the manufactures who make architectural fixtures. I have not had time to have a proper look at it yet but will let you know what it is like when I've had a chance.

It is not geared towards simulation of stage luminaires etc.
Thats handy because I'm not trying to model theatrical fixtures!
3DS Max is a 3D modelling and rendering application - it's not (and isn't trying to be) a simulation program.

It cannot and will not accurately simulate any luminaire of any kind.

What it's for is producing really gorgeous still and animated renderings, of the kind seen in print, TV and film.

Archived