Scaffold

simonbirdsey

Anyone recommend a good company?
To recommend a local one, we need to know where you are; how about adding a location to your profile?

Hire or buy? How often does the school use the lights? If only once or twice a year hire. If it is every week buy.

Hi Guys,

I thought it would sound like a doofus kind of question! I've been on a course all week (knackered) and trying to make space in budgets for things...obviously I don't have much of a didgery ** laughs out loud **

Ok, so I've amended my profile to include location. I was actually wondering whether there was a company that supplies them specifically for education/ lighting purposes or whatever. One that is easy to assemble/ disassemble and store and that is more designed for the purpose than normal building scaffold. I was thinking that it might even have lockable wheels, so that you could move it between lighting positions rather than assembling and pulling down all the time.

Yeah, risk assesment/health and safety is another issue. The reason that I was thinking scaffold rather than ladders is for this very reason. I'm not even actually considering buying at this moment, I'm just looking for a ball park figure for the budgets.

I guess that we'd probably seriously use the lights about once every half term, so about once every 6 weeks for a performance, although there are onbiously rehearsals in the build up.

Hope I've been a bit better with providing information this time!

Si

Buy or hire they're all pretty much the same. There's no specific hire to education/lighting etc. that I know of.

Usually will always have option of lockable wheels (with adjustment to keep level). Decision to buy or hire is most likely going to be about which is most economic and whether you have space to store. Cost can vary greatly for purchase & will obviously depend on height. Check your local private ads or call local building suppliers for hire cost/ex-hire purchase or Google around. Zargees is a good starting place.

Another recommendation for Zargees, I think they have distributors all over the UK, and they can sort you a package to suit the venue.

Not sure wether it is worth buying, check the cost of hiring the few times you need it versus the cost of buying.

Have you considered a Tallescope, might be of some use in a school environment, and bridges the gap between ladders and a tower.

Zarges towers! Yuk. I'd be inclined to go for a standard Zip-Up / Easy Rig type as they are so much more rigid, and should be available from all building hire companies.

To correct Jammie300s point above; it is YOUR responsibility to do the RA, not the hire company. They can provide instructions, CoPs etc, but only you can decide if it is a safe method of access when you consider the WaH directives criteria.

Ok, how about if I put it this way: if, for example I was hiring two moving Robe profile spots and a fat frog for a week...would the hire company install the lights and, if so, how much extra would it most likely be? I am actually waiting for some quotes at the minute, but you know what they're like.

Si

Sounds like this is moving towards a pros and cons of hiring question...

But...

If you do decide to buy some access kit I would definitely (and controversially? :( ) recommend that you get a free ESCA 3000 demo before buying a scaff tower or tallescope. We had a demo in the other week and were very impressed (including our stage manager, a daily tallescope user for the past 20 odd years). Don't be put off by rumours, it's a really good product (good enough for the RAF anyway, but then they are exempt from the Health and Safety at Work Act... :P )

Website is here:

www.escauk.co.uk/

Despite what some have said about them, I really can't see how you could turn one over without doing something rather stupid - which applies to all access equipment. Much quicker and easier to build than a tower while avoiding the "can we move someone in the bucket?" issue of tallescopes (not that you should be moving someone up a tower either) and you're not climbing a vertical ladder. I never saw the ESCA 1000 or 2000 (earlier generations) but apparently this latest model is a big improvement. We will likely be buying one to send out with our touring rig in the near future.

Gareth.

(Just for the record I have no links or ties with ESCA UK whatsoever, though the demo guy Steve is a big F1 fan which sat well with us...)

Archived