How NOT to isolate your fire alarms!

This didn't seem to fit anywhere but I think its worth the post. We found this in the toilets today, almost a week after some plumbers had been in to repair a leak, we can only assume that they didn't want the solder fumes to set of the alarms. Instead of asking us to isolate the system which we could and would have done, the home made approach was taken. We only spotted it almost a week later.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/neilhampson/DSC08703.jpg

Has anybody else seem anything like this? I know that this would end up very similar to the 'Dodgy Electricians' thread but I'm looking at non-electircal ramdom acts of supidity it seemed like a good idea at the time...

You see this all the time on building sites, it's seen as easier than the politics of getting it disabled!

And possibly in schools - although for our last production the zone wasn't isolated and none of the smoke detectors were covered - they just let the alarm go off and reset it (apparently isolating the zone would void the insurance...and covering the detector and/or resetting the alarm when triggered by pyro was more acceptable :) )

The glove is becoming a fact of life as the original "alarm person" retires and no-one else knows how to isolate a zone.

In my local hospital there are more sensors in the suspended ceiling voids than on display in the rooms, and on a wednesday about 200 sensors are checked each time. still takes months to get back to the first sensors!

Just tie a string round it so you can take it down when the ladders have gone out to the van!
The addition of an idiot tag (something big, bright and at eye level) might be wise if like me you're a tad forgetful!

Archived