VERY simple video switch

Ynot

On the odd occasion that our karaoke machine finds it's way off the shelf for the after-show parties etc, we usually run a couple of monitors - one for the deejay to cue the tracks, with the other obviously for the 'talent' to read.

Ot looks more professional if the cue-ing etc goes on with the punters' screen dark, so I usually just unplug the linked phono cable from the back of the monitor VDT, but that can be a bit of a pain.

So I thinks to meself - build a little switch...

Simple idea is just a one in, two out box, the one 'out' is always on, whilst the other can be switched on demand.

Question is (and bear in mind this is JUST for karaoke words & basic graphics, so no hi fidelity required!) what's the best way of building the thing?

Is it as simple as splitting the feeds with a small resistor network to keep the impedence right, or is it somehow more complex?

About 20 years ago I could have probably worked it out, but my electronic principles are pretty rusty these days...!

If all you are doing, is unplugging the monitor, perhaps you could just use a simple extension cable with a fairly bog standard switch in line? Perhaps an old one scrounged from an old home computer/ TV games console? Admittedly, they were for a UHF connection, but if quality isn't an issue for you, I'd be tempted to give them a go...

Jim

If all you are doing, is unplugging the monitor, perhaps you could just use a simple extension cable with a fairly bog standard switch in line?
I've got a box, simple rocker switch and some phono sockets - if there's not likely to be a major problem with just making up a simple Y-split and putting the switch on one leg then I'll just do that. but if there's a similarly simple 'better' way then I'll go that way instead.

;)

If you switch off the composite vid feed there will be no sync and black transmitted! So the monitor may snowstorm. You will have to try it!

I don't think I have ever seen a composite monitor (or any other monitor, for that matter) snowstorm when it has no signal. Snowstorms result when TV tuners try to demodulate a signal that isn't there and just receive noise. A monitor has no tuner so it just goes black as there's nothing for it to sync to.

Your mileage may vary (I'd be interested to know if it does), but every monitor I've seen in 25 years has been the same.

Here's one way of doing this, assuming the monitors are proper ones with termination switches or auto-terminate if no loop-out plug inserted.

DVD player into monitor one (DJ)

Monitor one set to Hi-Z (no termination)

Monitor one loop out into switch box

Switch box contains an SPDT switch that will connect monitor one output to either (a) a 75 ohm resistor to ground or (b) monitor two input. No need to switch grounds, they can all be commoned

Switch box output to monitor two (audience)

Monitor two set to terminate / 75 ohms

Archived