Concert/Theatre Lighting

Andy!

Ok, I have always wanted to go into the theatre but then last night I was thinking that it would be cool to go into concert lighting IE. like for gigs (Wembely). Witch do you think is best to go into. Considering Pay, travel (Do you have to stick with the same group and go to diffrent theatres).

It's a bit difficult to answer your question!

A few years back it was safe to say the pay was better in concert touring, but it isn't so true now.

You really have to weigh up what you want to do as the two are very different.

With theatre you can either go for a resident position which is at least fairly stable, although the pay is not too good or you can look for work with a touring show where the work can be unpredicatable, the digs also and the pay likewise -but at least you are likely to stay in the same venue for a week and the work isn't that heavy on most tours as you aren't touring your own rig.

Concert lighting can be much harder work as often the tour schedules are very heavy and you have truck loads of gear to get out and rig.

You should really consider more what side of the industry interests you most as the two are very different and it is quite rare for people to be involved in both.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Stagetec

I do a bit of concert work now and again and it can be a lot of fun. Its hard to say which pays better because for each discipline the top LDs get paid a lot and everyone else doesn't.

I would say if you were looking for a career in either you would have to chose it because you love the job, if you want the money stick to corporate work.

If you work in theatre you can either work for a theatre (or a few) or you can tour with a production. In concert work you can work for a venue or production however most staff come from crewing companies. If you work for a crewing company they will normally sort out accommodation for when working away from home.

I would say if you were looking for a career in either you would have to chose it because you love the job, if you want the money stick to corporate work.

Well to be honesty I just love the feeling of being in the theatre and just enjoy the work, I dont really care about the money.

It would be cool because I suppose you get to meet like famous people aswell.

Well to be honesty I just love the feeling of being in the theatre and just enjoy the work, I dont really care about the money.

Without sounding too cynical, I started out very much like yourself, loving the work, and not really caring about the money.

Well fact is, after sometime, and the novelty wears off, you become fed up of the poor money (or unreliable if your a cassie), long hours and (literally) back breaking work.

Now this doesn't mean to say I don't love my job anymore, because I do, but all I'm say is the phrase "not being concerned of the money" soon isn't a part of your vocabularly.

This bit soon rubs off too, esp when you realise they are just normal people doing a job like you!

Stu

This bit soon rubs off too, esp when you realise they are just normal people doing a job like you!

And are frequently less pleasant than Normal people, too.

Seriously though, whatever you do, don't go into this business for the glamour. It's a job - frequently an interesting one - but a job, nonetheless. I do it because it's slightly more interesting than the other stuff I could have done. But I wouldn't do it if they didn't pay me. Too much hassle...

As others have said, this is probably the worst reason of all to do a job.

My main business has always been TV. I've met loads of 'stars'. Some of them have been really nice people who would join you down the pub after a show for a drink, some of them have their heads far up their own backsides.

I've found the older they be, the nicer they are, as they are true pro's, and realise how good it is not to piss off the House Techs within 5 minutes of walking on the stage.

;)

Stu

Archived