PCB Design S/W

Hope this isn't too OT.

I want to build my own demux - as much for the fun of it as anything - and would like to use one of the PCB pooling services like PCB Train to create boards so it's neat.

I wondered if any other BR'ers knew of software to create the board layouts in appropriate (i.e. standard) formats.

Since this is for fun, I can't justify spending much money on software; on the flip side I don't need much in the way of features:

- pin/pad count of less than 500, I guess

- max double sided

- no autorouter required

- schematic capture not essential

- max board size probably less than 6" in any dimension

I just want something that's fairly easy to drop pad layouts onto!

Can anybody recommend something from personal experience?

Thanks,

Tom

The low cost thing means that many popular and good packages are unavailable to you.

PCBPool has their own layout software, which I have tried (though not in real anger, not having got as far as burning a board from it) and it seemed OK, especially given its was free.

Dont underestimate the value of schematic capture.

I use the LabCenter products, but they are distinctly not free.

Another vote for Eagle, www.cadsoft.de , lot of board houses will accept .brd files directly. Free version is a 2 side size llimited version of full thing, which is pretty powerful,means can be bit of learning curve,really have to follow workflow, schematic capture generates ratsnest for layout, it will autoroute :-)

Cadsoft run their own support newsgroups and support ,even for free users, is outstanding.

http://www.olimex.com have an OK reputation for proto boards.

You don't say what platform you are using, but if by any chance it is vaugely unix like then GEDA may be a choice.

It's free, and the pcb package is not totally horrid, Schematic capture lacks a few too many common parts for my

taste, but is ok for simple stuff. It has an autorouter and DRC capability but I have never used either in anger.

Failing that, +1 for Eagle.

Regards, Dan.

Proteus Lite at the top is labcenter, and is what I use, and so if you can get your design in 100 pins, at $38 its the one to go for. Its an excellent tool with many years history, and it does the full monty from schematic capture.

(To be honest, although I've got Proteus, I still use a much earlier DOS version using an emulator!)

And [standby for plug.... plug GO] I used to FTP my gerbers to RAK PCBs who always did a great job for me.

Archived