Radio mics borrow, hire

nipperiow

We are putting a youth production of “LittleShop of Horrors” on and need some head worn radio mics. As usual money is limited. We have a sound system but no radio mics so any advice is welcome. We need 8 head worn mics and receivers and a mixing desk to run them. We need the equipment for the last two weeks in August. does anyone know a cheap source to beg, borrow or hire such equipment.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure anyone will be able to lend (as in free) - the kits too delicate and expensive to kind of just donate, but you may find some people on here have systems they'll hire to you. I'd expect people to quote you at around £50-60 per channel, per week. You handle insurance and carriage.

One thing - I note your society is affiliated to NODA, their mag often has ads from people offering discounts. We can, if you want recommend out usual players in the field. Don't worry too much where they are based.

You mention a mixer, but not a system to plug it into - as this sets the overall quality, a cheap mixer may be good enough, if the rest is kind of, well, average. If the main system is good, then you'll need something to match it?

For reference, I take it the production is also on the Isle of Wight? It Shouldn't really make much difference but some couriers have additional costs for sending there.

I know a couple of people around the coast on the mainland who hire similar things so I'll ask a few questions.

Rob

edit : http://www.c-p-s-group.com/ I'm told is somewhere to try. They have hired out similar things for youth groups and schools etc. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Have you tried asking any local secondary schools. I have just finished a primary school production in Burton Upon Trent where we borrowed all the equipment from three local secondary schools and this producton had 12 radio microphones. Seeing that the producton is in August you will not have any problems with borrowing them if they are around because the schools are still on there summer holidays.

It might just be worth a punt.

A school musical production I am working on has just had to bite the bullet and invest £300 on renting 5 radio mics for a week to supplement the dynamic wired mics we were already planning to use. Unfortunately we put on our show at the same time as every other school in the area and consequently couldn't beg or borrow any of the equipment we needed - we couldn't even get head worn mics and had to settle for lapels!

Regards,

Jazomir

Does anyone really think it's a good idea to post your phone number on the Internet? Even if the members here are trustworthy, and you have to be a member to post, you don't have to be a member to read. That kind of information should go in a PM.

Mac

Unless you are totally, perfectly lucky! You will need a licence for at least some frequencies. here are four deregulated freqs in the UHF band and possibly five in the VHF.

You may prefer to get a hire including licence rather than get a few odd channels -some duplicated!- and try to make them work and get the licences

I have just finished a primary school production in Burton Upon Trent where we borrowed all the equipment from three local secondary schools and this producton had 12 radio microphones.

Be very careful if you're trying to combine two or more separately-sourced radio mic systems into one set-up - it's quite likely that you'll get problems with intermod if you start using one system alongside another. Just because two different sets of four radio mics from two different places work perfectly well on their own, you simply can't rely on them working as well when you try using them together.

Unless you are totally, perfectly lucky! You will need a licence for at least some frequencies.
Actually, as long as the owner of the mics has them licensed properly there's a good chance the use outside of the home location will be covered (as long as the relevent form on the holder's license is completed and accompanies the hire/loan).

I know ours covers this, and suspect the same will be true of any commercial hire co.

Archived