Car Insurance

Dave

My car insurance is due for renewal in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any companies or brokers.

I'm presently with Liverpool Victoria, who seem quite good. They even had self-employed theatre technician on their list of occupations, and didn't consider it high-risk!

However, I think they're not as competitive as they used to be, so I'd be interested in knowing who other people use.

Thanks,

Dave.

Not ever used Elephant myself.....but just thought I'd put my pennyworth in. They were on Watchdog last year for being bad at coughing up when accidents occured claiming there were bits in the small print that you had to read carefully. Also when you wanted to make a claim or speak to someone you had to ring a No. that charged expensive rates per minute.....this is allegedly how they were offering such low insurance as they made money up on the phone calls.........read in to that what you want. As I say, I have no experience of them.....but I've always found Churchill very reasonable!!

I would recomend Liverpool Victoria, albeit through Frizzels. They were cheap up till the point I changed my car for a fast one. :(

I am now with Tesco, who seamed to be quite alot cheaper than all the other companies that I tried. Most would not quote for me, considering my age and car type. (23 and a Subaru Impreza) (But I do have 6 years NCB ;) )

If you work at more than one venue get Business cover as you are only covered on journeys to one fixed place of work. ;)

Not necessarily. I'm with Eagle Star, and I specifically checked whether I was covered if my place of work differed from day to day - I am.

This sort of thing is insurer-specific.

If you are employed (as opposed to self-employed), you will typically have a policy which (in insurance speak) covers you for "social, domestic, and pleasure use, including travel to and from work". Some insurers specifically say a single workplace, others do not. If you don't need your car to travel to work, a few insurers will give you a cheaper policy that excludes this.

It is important to note that use of your car for any business-related task (eg collecting things from a supplier or travelling between different venues during the working day) is not covered by this and you should technically have insurance that includes business use, which normally costs a little more. My brother used to work for an organisation that occasionally required him to travel between sites whilst at work, and to save the staff needing business insurance, they were covered by a special policy that the employer had.

If you are self-employed, most insurers would normally require you to have a business policy anyway (Liverpool Victoria aka Frizzell, who I'm currently with, are in this category), although you might get away without one depending on your insurer and the way you work.

Like many things in life, you should always check that what you are buying meets your needs!

P.S. Thanks for all the useful replies to my orginal post - once I'm sorted I'll let you know how I got on.

Archived