Smaller Name Movers

mooly

Hello,

Just another of those questions...

Looking to install a rig for our 3 large events spaces this summer... We do a mixture of stuff in these spaces. Mainly party's; and Awards evenings, Dinners, and the odd Product launches/conference. The budget is probably half what it needs to be so one of the areas we need to save on is fixtures:

Looking at some future light fixture:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/futurelight_phw_7...artner_id=59917

Being one wash option... Or maybe we could squeeze some robe fixtures...

Basically I want to know what you guys think. If you worked on an event with us, would you refuse to use these? If every other incoming production company takes them down, then there is not much point in them being there...

J

To be honest futurelight are a very decent company, and are up there near the top, whilst they don't seem to be known all that well in the UK, they do have a decent distributor : Di-Fuzion.

I reviewed the 250watt range a while back now and was really impressed with the build quality, and having a dedicated UK distributor ensures that spares are available in the unlikely event that they do break.

I would go for them, the best way to ensure they get used by incoming companies is to make sure you have a load of different fixture profiles for the majority of big name desks.

http://www.ukslc.org/Reviews/Lighting/Futu...nd_PHW-260.html

I use the futurlight MH660 (250) Which is the same unit as the Robe 250 same build same factory different branding

very credible brand name but not commonly used.

couldn't comment on that particular model but the 250 are excellent

Whilst I can't vouch for the movers I have got a number of Futurelight effects and scans all of which have been excellent value for money and very robust, with good feature sets. One survived a 6ft fall a month or so ago with only a broken mirror (replaced) and bent gobo wheel (bent back)

Stage LX have an offer on at the mo for Mac250 wash - £1225, IIRC...

A bit more than the Futurelights, but....

...but arguably less reliable?!

The Futurelight is 700W and cheaper than the mac @ 250W. Although I'm no fan of the Futurelights the same arguments apply for these mid-range fixtures as always - ease of maintainance/availability parts/service against cost. This has been discussed here countless times. 700W for that price is a bargain. Unless you make the big price jump up to VL/High-End/Clay Paky then that looks as good as any. I can't imagine anyone would choose not to use them because of their make. This is certainly not something I have ever experienced. It will simply be about whether you can keep them working or not :)

Stage LX have an offer on at the mo for Mac250 wash - £1225, IIRC...

A bit more than the Futurelights, but....

...but arguably less reliable?!

The Futurelight is 700W and cheaper than the mac @ 250W.

Whoops!

My bad - I missed the 700W in my quick scan of the Thomann pages.

Though I would possibly question the point of reliability of a Martin fixture ....

I've used the smaller 250w future Lights and found the output to be far inferior to that of a Mac 250. Also on the future lights the balast's and ignitors have a habit of going wrong from my personal experience. If the long term reliability is an issue be prepared for service issues after the first year or two. Never used the bigger Moving Heads just big scans and smaller heads.

On a separate note note Martin's reliability I've found has improved much over the years. One example is I got a later batch of Mac 250 before they became Kryptons and out of 8 I've only needed to replace 2 gobo censors and lamps in 6500 hours of use in 3 years. Not bad going by anyones standards.

Thanks for your guys input... Does any one know what feedback sensors these units have? IE Hall or Opto....

I'm guessing probably the cheaper magnetic hall sensors... or maybe just end stop feedback?

Thinking control system will be GrandMA on PC/Showcad Artist so profiles shouldn't be a problem

Jack

I think they have opto sensors, and have full feedback.

Ive used some of the futurelight range, and they are good fixtures, they did used to be made by ROBE along with TAS, but I do beleive they now have there own independent, probably chinese factory.

Robe are now made in prague I think.

the fixtures I used had full feedback, and suprisingly more realible than equiv martin.

Archived