Jayne Eyre

Sam_Lowers

Hi All.

I have been approached by a group that I used to light for to do their production of Jayne Eyre in November.

We have already had a few production meetings and one thing that has come up is that they need a fire effect coming from three areas off-stage (doorways, fire place etc...)

What I am looking for help is 'what is the best way to do this?'

I have a 24 channel rig with no non-dim power other than a few 13Amp outlets on the wall. Unfortunately with the positioning of the bars and the kit available - it is a social venue rig - it will take me nearly every single one of these channels to cover the stage and set.

One idea that I had - because I have some budget - was to position 3 Robe 250AT washes in these positions, either on tables, floor or rigged. This way I can use the CMY to create effects of rippling colour using reds, yellows and oranges. I used this effects when I lit Narnia with college a little while ago and it worked well.

Can anybody offer me any advice at all because if there is a more simple way I am more than willing to listen!

The desk that will be used will either be a Fat Frog or a 520i - hopefully the strand as I am more comfortable on this desk!

Look forward to hearing your views!

Many Thanks

Sam

OK

Not knowing Jane Eyre, I'd ask for a bit of clarification.

By 'fire' do you mean the house is 'ON fire' or are there 3 areas that need to have a representation of a practical fire, OR are you after creating an impression that the fire(s) are there and lighting the scene as if they are lit BY the firelight...?

Also not sure about the fire from the doorway if it's either of the lattter two...

Again something I don't see - what's a 'Social venue rig'?

Ynot

Hi

Sorry I was not clear enough.

Right:

By social venue I mean like a community hall - fixed old dimmers, rubbish bar position and the kit is a 8 patt 743's, 9 quartet profiles and 7 old strand flood

The effect I need to produce is as if the place is on fire. The fire place is to produce a fire place fire that will shine from this position out of the fire place and make the room glow from this one position. With regards to the door.

One of the exits is to produce the effect of a room off stage which gets set on fire - this again needs to be able to throw a fire effect through the door and into the main acting space.

I am still waiting on the director for the exact placement of the other fire but this again will be a fire not just a gobo or something like this.

Hope this helps

Sam

Hi Sam,

If it is a flickering fire effect you want, then in the past, I have had great success with pygmy bulbs wired in series to a fluorescent tube starter.

I have built a set of four, with three starters, three flickering bulbs lamps with the fourth lamp on permanently. It is actually very realistic when the reflection of the light is able to be seen...

If you are going to play with electrics though be certain you know exactly what you are doing!

HTH

Jim

EDIT:

You beat me to it with your second post Sam, my idea may not be man enough for the effect you want...

Right.

There are a number of ways to achieve a flame effect.

One of the more common, especially when the effect needs to cover the whole stage, is to use a profile with a fire effect wheel on the front combined with a fixed (possibly even rotating?) gobo in the gate, and a suitable gel.

There are also tubular ripple projectors available that if gelled can be stood/hung end-on and will give a fair effect.

Martin also do a specific flame effects lantern - the Mania DC2, though I've never used this personally, I've seen the effect at PLASA and it looked ok.

However, whatever you do, remember that with a stage piece, the effect isn't necessarily the be all and end all. You still need to illuminate and see your actors, so a good mix will be essential. There's no point in creating a fantastic effect if the talent are in shadow...

I was thinking about using an fx wheel but I am trying to avoid using dimmer channels.

Is the martin product DMX at all? Also do you know anybody that would hire these as they sound like a bit of a disco effect?

If not any idea of any other DMX units that could produce this effect?

The benifit for me is that the effect will be done in a B/O with no actors on stage so I do not need to worry about lighting them!!

Sam

I was thinking about using an fx wheel but I am trying to avoid using dimmer channels.
The FX wheel doesn't need a dimmer channel, though the lantern obviously will (and these are best used in multiples).
Is the martin product DMX at all? Also do you know anybody that would hire these as they sound like a bit of a disco effect?
Nail hit squarely...

yes, they ARE more of a disco effect, but MAY do you well if you're short of dimmers.

If not any idea of any other DMX units that could produce this effect?
Not seen any myself, but there may be something out there....

I might be being stupid but unless you have a 520 handy as well as the movers, I would go with something smaller desk wise, ditch the movers and use the money to get another rack if possible and use that for the effects.

2/3 birdies for the fireplace (red/orange/yellow flicker)

2 floods together as far to the door as possible facing on stage for flickering (remember you can use gel mix (think red>yellow red>orange))

That leaves one channel as a spare, or you might like another channel to play with for a special.

Re actual effects I know that GAM (http://www.gamonline.com/) do a film that you can have flame in. Unfortunately they only run on source4's AFAIK.

I might be being stupid but unless you have a 520 handy as well as the movers, I would go with something smaller desk wise, ditch the movers and use the money to get another rack if possible and use that for the effects.
<ahem>

From the OP...

The desk that will be used will either be a Fat Frog or a 520i

Yes but the choice of 2 suggests to me that there is a optionof what to use i.e. a hire. If there is something smaller/less to hire, that could do the job why get the 520etc as the money saved as I said could go in to getting another rack and birdies.

I would love to put another dimmer rack in but where it is a counsil building we have their in house dimmers - which hardly work - and they refuse to put in a 63A outlet!!

A little off post but does anybody know where you can hire a add on for a Zero88 frog because I was emailed a kit list for another show that I am designing for and they want to use movers but only have a frog.

If I remember rightly Zero 88 did make one when the Frog came out but I cant remember what it was!

Thanks for the replies so far but please keep them coming in!! It is all usuful ideas if not for now but the future!!

Also the reason that I am looking an Robes and a strand is because these are very easy for me to lay my hands on!!

Sam

Yes but the choice of 2 suggests to me that there is a optionof what to use i.e. a hire. If there is something smaller/less to hire, that could do the job why get the 520etc as the money saved as I said could go in to getting another rack and birdies.
Hmmm...

Ok - fair rebuttal.

Though I'll leave the OP to advise on that one.

I would love to put another dimmer rack in but where is is a counsil building we have their in house dimmers - which hardly work - and they refuse to put in a 63A outlet!!
Hmmm again... ©

thinking back to the OP, then, you mention most of the 13A supplies will be accounted for....

Assuming this is true, what will they be used for?

If you're looking at the Robes JUST to achieve this effect and maybe fill elsewhere, then possibly we're back in the realms of "Do you really need movers"?

Because, I would suspect that the movers will be your prime swallower of 13A outlets.

And in that case, what's wrong with hiring a couple of small DMX dimmer racks (even maybe a couple of the cheap 4-ways) along with the necessary extra lanterns to do the effect with effects wheels etc? Because I think you MAY find this easier.

Jane Eyre doesn't strike me as a mover-friendly play, to be frank....

Ah fair point Sam, look at the small draw on birdies and old strand floods. Even with 2 floods and 3 birdies its not likley to trip (obvisuly not knowing the venue I cannot strongly reccoment but on previous experiance of using a 13a supplied dimmer.

As I have said this is how I would do it, wouldn't hurt to see if you can get the kit.

Jane Eyre doesn't strike me as a mover-friendly play, to be frank....

I couldn't agree more which is why I have put it to the forum!

I wasn't aware that there were any real dimmer packs that could be used for this! I have used some before for flashing through lanterns in a prep session but thats it.

If they are DMX and have faders on how are they controled? Do you set them up with the faders at full?

Can you recomend any at all and also have any pictures so I can have a look?

Sam

Archived