Monitor Wedges

Bryson

Surly the fact that they are inherantly lighter is also a factor, as truck loading, truss loading and reggers backs are all important considerations in both install and touring operations,

The weight is obviously their big advantage. However, if other aspects of the products were lacking, then they would not be used to the extent they are, no matter what the weight. Another very popular amplifier range is the Crown MA series, which are the amplifier of choice for many, despite being very heavy.

Performance is the main product selection criteria in the sound industry (at the top end, at least).

My aversion however probably stems from the fact that I hate trying (and trying being the operative word  ) to fix swich mode power suplies. Conventional ones, dispite being heavier are much nicer to fix.

I can understand that, although I'm sure the same argument was used when transistors took over from valves ;) (please don't take that personally). Technology moves relentlessly on.

Modern switch-mode amps are very reliable. My Lab Gruppens have five year manufacturer's guarantees, and I think this is the case with other makes as well.

I can understand that, although I'm sure the same argument was used when transistors took over from valves  (please don't take that personally). Technology moves relentlessly on.

Hmmm. I was under the impression transistors were simpler than valves but all that was well before my time. I too hope I never have to repair equipment but due to the fact I don'tdo this for profit I have a couple of 20 year old amps that have both been repaired, something I would not have been able to do had they been switched mode, In fact at work I know of very few people who like to look at switched mode and even less that have any success rate. It has come to a point that in a professional enviroment it is cheeper to replace the whole board than a couple of componants, I and I assume others in the amater scene don't have that luxuary.

How did this thread get this diverted? ;)

James

Just carrying on with the original thread... I've used a number of Logic Systems rigs (quite a few Midlands based companies are hiring them at the mo) - always been very impressed with them. The one I used last week was being driven by QSC amps (mix of RMX and PLX). The wedges are pretty dandy as they all had 36mm top hats so they could be stuck on poles for FoH use.

Just as another point - I also use a couple of pairs of EV SX300s and a pair of SX200s (and the "wedge feet" fit both!) - these get driven by QSC and C-Audio amps quite happily, and always go down well on the jazz circuit (used them for Andy Sheppard a couple of weeks ago and he was happy enough!) I was using JBL wedges (2 x EON 15s and 2 x MR12") which are OKish but still need some EQ work to sweeten them up.

Re: Logic - as Topper says, have a look at the website, or if you have a local Academy of Sound music shop, give them a try as our local one (and I'm sure all the others must be) is a main delaer.

Nuff for now, Bob

Whats the difference between the SX200 & SX300 - Is it just the driver?? I know the cases are the same...

As fas as I know both the 200 and 300 are rated at 300w, 8ohms

However, a few little changes when they replaced the 200 with the 300:

SX200 101.5dB - SX300 125 dB - Just new drivers by the sound of things?

QUOTE (Rob @ 14 Feb 2003, 09:48 AM)

As fas as I know both the 200 and 300 are rated at 300w, 8ohms

This is correct. The 300W figure is described by EV as being a "continuous" rating and I've always treated it as an RMS figure. They give the peak power handling as 1200W!!

The Sx300 is an improved version of the Sx200 with (allegedly) better sound quality. I've never tried them side-by-side, so couldn't say. Maybe Bob has compared his. I used to own some Sx300s a few years ago. They are pretty good, but for FB I'd tend to go for some "proper" wedges for aesthetic reasons.

However, a few little changes when they replaced the 200 with the 300:

SX200 101.5dB - SX300 125 dB - Just new drivers by the sound of things?

I think you've mixed up sensitivity with peak SPL!!!!!!

I don't actually know if the drivers are different - possibly the LF is, HF could well be the same.

• 4 weeks later...

while on the topic a while back of ev SX200's I was wondering is their a safe and easy way to fly these things which is permenent. I have already got the horizontal mounting brackets but I really want to point them down to where the audience is!!! at the moment they sound rubbish and are amazingly inefficient!! if anyones got any ideas that would be good!!

Thanks, Sam

while on the topic a while back of ev SX200's I was wondering is their a safe and easy way to fly these things which is permenent.

The SX200/300s have a number of threaded inserts built into the case designed for flying. You can screw eyebolts into these inserts and hang them from steels. EV even list an eyebolt kit among the speaker accessories, or you could get them from a rigging supplier.

Please note that you must not attempt this unless you are qualified, experienced, and insured.

Archived