Scrollers

Fleeting

Stu,

The sheet you are looking at is not a brillaint representation as it is just showing you how to create colours with DMX Values.

If you use the CASCADE in Designer mode you can get as many saturated colours as you like, ie think about it if you want to create a saturated purple colour or congo you use 2 colours Magenta and Cyan.

The way the cascade handles the true CMY and being able to get all three colours in at once is that the strings start in 1 colour ie magenta and then it will very gradually (almost seamlessly) change colour to Cyan whilst the other string does the same from cyan to yellow.

Andy

Greetings,

I must stop answering my own questions. The price for the replacement scrolls according to AC Lighting North is £110.00 list (for both scrolls and infared shield). Which I didn't think was a bad price.

Fleeeting...

• 2 weeks later...
only use Rosco super gel as lee tends to melt togher after a while as well.

We Use Chroma Q whicjh take a lot of abuse For the Gels I use both Rosco or Lee HT however I always only use Lee on either end of the gel string as roscoe is too brittle and the digital scrollers rip out the gel string on calibration

Ours live infront of Par 64's so get fairly warm, in the absence of heat shield, I find a bit of light frost works wonders

We Use Chroma Q whicjh take a lot of abuse For the Gels I use both Rosco or Lee HT however I always only use Lee on either end of the gel string as roscoe is too brittle and the digital scrollers rip out the gel string on calibration

I think you need to look at how much tension you're putting onto your scrolls, then - if you're finding that the ChromaQ's calibration sequence rips your scrolls apart if the head and tail frames are Supergel, then I think it's a farily safe bet that you're putting too much tension on them - somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 turns is plenty. I often use scrolls in ChromaQs which have Supergel headers and tails, and I've never had a problem with them.

• 2 weeks later...
The simple way to tell if you have too much tension in your scroll, is to manual run your scroller to the very end then turn it back till you have just 1/2 the tail/leader on the roller. if you then look at the gel on the roller you should not see any crinkling of the scroll if you do then it is too tight and will in the end lead to early failier of your scrolls. As with any scroller you should only use the minimum tension necessary to ensure that the scroll will not come off the end when it is calibrated.

The Birmingham Royal Ballet use a two scroll colour mixing scroller (I did not catch the brand name). They have not noticed any significant difference between the scrolls in rarely-used units and those in regular use.

The colour tables that supposedly reproduce lee colours are not very accurate. Their approach - fit a gel in one lantern and a scroller to another. Mix the colours until you get the two looking the same and note down the DMX values.

The colour effect is very good (saw the Birmingham Hippodrome stage go through just about every colour you could ever want - and some in a matter of seconds last Friday)

<From my experience buying apollo gobos, you have to buy a lot to make it ecnonomic - shame really because their stock designs compliment the DHA/rosco ones nicely. >

You've got a point. We have a number of dealers within the UK, and have fielded some prospects as well. I can suggest however, that with a little lead time- a shipment of gobos or DMX-related products (SmartMove pre-programmed rotator) isn't too terribly expen$ive.

(Key word- Lead time. Something not available for many events & performances)

Does anyone have any views on Rainbow Vs Colouram? Pros & cons etc?

Beware when mixing scrollers from different manufacturers on the same rig, or when ordering scroller cable from hire/sales companies. Wybron use a different wiring scheme to Rainbow and ChromaQ, and the power supply polarity is reversed. This also means that cables built for one system will have the data screen connected to +24V when used with the other system.

Rainbow/ChromaQ

Pin 1 - GND

Pin 2 - Data -

Pin 3 - Data +

Pin 4 - +24V

Wybron

Pin 1 - +24V

Pin 2 - Data -

Pin 3 - Data +

Pin 4 - GND

High End - ColorCommand/ColorMerge

Pin 1 - +40V

Pin 2 - Data +

Pin 3 - Data 1

Pin 4 - GND

Martin

I was under the impression scrolls were a lot cheaper than that to order from AC. Not quoting in case I am wrong. I should contact them and ask.

I believe the price that Fleeting mentions above is the cost of a set of replacement scrolls for a ChromaQ Cascade, rather than the cost of a scroll for a bog-standard scroller (which are, as you say, considerably cheaper).

Archived