Scrollers

Fleeting

Greetings,

We (being the royal we) are looking to buy half a dozen scrollers to fit Strand Cantata Fresnels/PC's. I have been looking at the Croma Q Broadways or Universals. Has anybody used them? Which one is the better? We can't run to the price of the rainbow equivalent, are there any other makes I should consider...?

Fleeting

A soundman who should no better....

we have the broadways at central, see a fair amount of use at times, last well and ours are not loved that much. haven't seen any problems and they seem to work fine when we have used them even after being roughly handled by people who really should know better

Moderation: Moved to LX, 3/2/04

AC Lighting have some good prices on Chroma Qs in their Stock Cleareance section at present - might be worth a lookie.

Chroma Qs can be allrite - you just need to give them the due love and care they require!

Stu

I'd also suggest taking a look at ChromaQ's - they aren't exactly top of the range (you're going to need a Rainbow if you want that) but they do give you a hell of a lot of scroller for your money. Also, the casing is made of ploycarbonate, which makes them relatively light compared to the equivalent metal-cased types - a good thing if they're ever going to be used on the front of longer lanterns where they're further from the tilt pivot point.

Chroma's are more cost effective but the rainbows go on and on for ever.

Top Tip:

Don't buy expensive scroller tape to make scrolls. Go to a Cinemoid Stockists and buy Jacko film tape. It is better and cheaper and fits on a standard sellotape dispenser!!

We use the chroma Q s on our Cantata Fresnels/PC's and harmony Fresnels/PC's and they work fine.

only thing we have found use a sheet of heat shrink in from of the lamp befor the scroller.and dont focus them right to the edge of the scroll or they melt together and only use Rosco super gel as lee tends to melt togher after a while as well.

Its easyer just to get your string pre made for you at a cost of about £25 saves fannying about with tape and cutting the angles on your end string !

only thing we have found use a sheet of heat shrink in from of the lamp befor the scroller.and dont focus them right  to the edge of the scroll or they melt together and only use Rosco super gel as lee tends to melt togher after a while as well.

Errr ... I think you mean heat shield, rather than heat shrink - they're two very different things! You're right, though - a layer of heatsheild sandwiched underneath the scroller backplate will do wonders for the longevity of your scrolls.

Lee colour is OK as long as you use the HT version (if it's available in the colour you want).

Errr ... I think you mean heat shield, rather than heat shrink - they're two very different things! You're right, though - a layer of heatsheild sandwiched underneath the scroller backplate will do wonders for the longevity of your scrolls.

Lee colour is OK as long as you use the HT version (if it's available in the colour you want).

Yes I know im a #### I ment heat sheild ! thanks Garth Although if your scroller cables are any thing like mines you will need heat shrink as well as they keep melting with the heat from the par cans!

Please bear in mind that if you are looking at Chroma Q scrollers for your Cantata F's you should be looking at the CQ1D model not the Broadway, the broadway was designed for 650w lanterns as well as the likes of the Source 4' and the SL range.

A very robust unit that will go forever and very affordable.

Greetings,

Having read all you much appreciated replies, I have been doing some more reading on the Croma q range. Has anyone played with the cascade range of scrollers, They have active colour mixing and boast over 300 colours?

Any good/ bad/ indifferent?

Fleeting

In case you've not seen it, the manual is online @

http://www.aclighting.com/Products/downloa...a-q/cascade.pdf

They don't do CMY mixing which is a shame, so some colours won't be available. The last page shows what is available on the unit.

Stu

The Cascade Scroller does have CMY color mixing, however if you think about it, and you put all three colour mixing flags in at once you get a blackout...

The 1st string goes from cyan to magenta and the second string goes from cyan to yellow.

There is also three primary colours on the end of one of the strings to allow further mixing.

Regards

Andy.

The Cascade Scroller does have CMY color mixing, however if you think about it, and you put all three colour mixing flags in at once you get a blackout...

Good point. However from reading the manual I got the impression you wouldn't be able to do true CMY mixing, as you wouldn't be able to independantly put in a touch of cyan, magenta and yellow all at the same time to achieve the desired colour?

From the colour page on the back, you can't get saturated purples, blues, greens etc (well this is how it appears to me, obviously a screen doesn't give you a true idea of the output) so this is what I meant by doesn't allow CMY mixing.

Stu

Archived