Spray paint cans on stage

beware

One of my Fringe groups has asked about using a can of spray paint between scenes during the show. I'm not sure why exactly, but it sounds like it could be a fire hazard.

Should I not allow it, or are there precautions I can take?

I know nothing about the show, so can't tell you what alternatives they have planned.

Not so sure about the fire hazard angle, but I'd certainly be asking questions about WHY they want to use spray paint IN BEWEEN scenes....

Few spray paints will dry quickly, so there's costume hazards there, but maybe more inportantly there's the trisk of spray/overspray onto house goods/softs etc....

I'd start them talking pronto!!

Its not the fire risk that I'd be so worried about, its the fact that audience members could complain about the fumes. Could they not change the window colour using gel or something a little less toxic.

I'd be worried about the speed at which it dries, wouldn't want it getting on the stage or curtains !!

The vast majority of Fringe venues have very poor ventilation, so I'd put a stop to the idea before they become too set on it.

I'm absolutely certain that all Fringe venues would refuse to permit it, for this and other reasons - possibility of damage to the venue for one!

Remember that the show turnaround time at the Fringe is extremely short - that paint will not be dry by the start of the next performance, so will present a hazard to the breakdown of the show, and any overspray will present at least a slip hazard to the next production.

Looking at the issue another way, it's a very expensive method of achieving the effect as they'll need a new 'board' for every single performance, and a new can of paint every two or three.

There are other methods available - pivoting panels, replaceable boards... The list continues.

I'll second the concerns about the toxic fumes from the spraycans. All instructions on spraycans start with 'Use in well ventilated areas only'.

If, for some artistic reason, they insist on the 'spray' look then at least get them to use an air-powered spraygun. This will also give you more control over the type of paint used, water based vs acrylic, and gives you better control to prevent overspray.

But this still doesn't solve your problem of potential damage, wet paint or the requirement for people in close proximity to wear dust masks to prevent inhalation of paint particles.

I would ask them to explain why they think it is such a great idea to use spraypaint and then take it from there.

Wouldn;t also mean that they would need a whole new window for the next performance? Or are they spraying the front of the window. Bizarre. Sounds like a 'director's solution' to me as opposed to a designer's or Strage-managers one.

The vast majority of Fringe venues have very poor ventilation, so I'd put a stop to the idea before they become too set on it.

I'm absolutely certain that all Fringe venues would refuse to permit it, for this and other reasons - possibility of damage to the venue for one!

Second that. I'd be inclined to say it would be turned down by your venue manager. The use of a toxic spray in an enclosed space with the general public just makes it a big no go, I'm afraid. Damage to the venue itself, and the eagerness of venues to avoid upsetting their landlords, is another big concern;

There's also the factor that airborne particles such as fine paint particles that are given off by paint cans don't always hit the target. A lot are expelled as a cloud and are small and light enough to float about, this is how they are breathed in, and ALSO wind up all over theatre lanterns, if the rig is nice and high then they will be pretty safe, but if the venue has a low ceiling then any lanterns near the can stand in danger of getting very spotty lenses.

Second that. I'd be inclined to say it would be turned down by your venue manager.

I am the venue manager. Just thought I'd check.

Archived