Trying to play a DVD on Windows Media

Jamtastic3

So I'm going to throw this one out to you guys and see what sort of kind words I get back.

A few days ago I set up a projector where the promoter wanted to play a DVD film from his laptop via Windows Media 11.

After setting it up and putting the DVD in, the DVD played but there was no picture in the window or on the projector screen. He said that it normally worked at home but I wasn't getting any picture coming onto the projector screen. Why do you think this is?

The projector is a Sony 'something-or-other' (sorry no real spec) but I know that you can't change the projector's resolution/picture size and has various source settings (we were using VGA/COMP INPUT 1).

The thing is, I've had this problem with Windows computers before in this setup situation. Setting up dual monitors doesn't do anything either. I never have problems with macs as it seems to be easier to mirror the image to the screen.

So I'm not sure how to get past this one in the future. The only wild theory I go by is that the DVD might have some encryption on it that blocks the allowance of public viewing???

Any advice would be great.

Cheers!

I'm not entirely sure if its not showing up at all, or just not showing on the cloned/extended external screen/projector, but the standard first thing to check is to turn hardware acceleration down/off, which should then hopefully make it appear.

Seen similar problems and it was solved by setting the Video acceleration right down. In Media Player, select More Options from one of the drop down menus, then Performance. The Video Acceleration is there. Try it and see :)

Get your bosses to spring 30 quid for a dvd player from richer sounds, it's only round the corner <_<

There's a load of things it could be with a laptop, to be honest. It's pretty easy to get extended desktop on, right click on the desktop->settings and go the last tab on the wee window, should have a picture of a second screen, click it and check the "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" box.

Your proj will only output in it's native resolution, BUT it will take a whole range of inputs. Stick the laptop output at 800*600 or something like that, it's as close to PAL as you'll get, and better than DVD resolution. Your proj is probably 800*600 or 1024*768 native, given the size and whatnot.

(don't need any vjs do you? I could do with more gigs :)

The best solution I've found so far is Video Lan Client.

Plays most things, and ignores the stupid "Won't play this on external monitor" rubbish that I've seen several times with WMP.

- With DVDs I've seen this even with hardware acceleration off, and in 'extended desktop' mode. Extremely annoying.

The bonus is of course that VLC has external playback controls - unlike WMP.

Archived