Need a RAF Uniform

Jivemaster

www.sabresales.co.uk/

023 9283 3394

(I got this off w/robe when I wanted Lab Coats) You will need earplugs when calling.

and I was about to recommend them again.

If you want to buy it you will do well to find cheaper than here. I recently bought a WWII army uniform for a 4 week run as it was less than to hire it.

If you are looking to hire the BBC are lovely people and I would recommend them for lots of things but for uniforms I would advice Torbay 01803 211930 or Angels 020 8202 2244

The surplus sellers all have new style uniform, but no 40s style. I've been quoted £989 inc vat for a taylor made one, is this reasonable? Is there anyone on here who can actually make one inc sourcing the fabric?

Nothing is helped by me being 50 chest! 46 is the biggest current uniform and in the 40s men were smaller!

Nothing is helped by me being 50 chest!

Now you tell us! You would have been too big to fight in WWII they just did not make the uniforms this size as they did not take men this size.

I think £900 is too much but the big problem is finding the fabric particularly if you are going to be standing next to people in the real thing. I think you will find it significantly cheaper (£400ish for battle dress style) if you find fabric, buttons, buckles etc. that you are happy with and can borrow a uniform for a maker to copy. I could then put you in touch with possible makers.

I can get a cheap used uniform for £50 for pattern making and grading to fit me.

You don't need to buy one, if you can borrow one for a couple of weeks as the maker will not need to take it apart it is just good to check exact size of pockets etc. to make it as authentic as possible.

We have a number of such uniforms

Dave

Could you check that you have then as generously proportioned as Jivemaster as that would be worth knowing for the future.

Jivemaster,

We are an amateur company who hire costumes etc to support our productions. We have a good number of uniforms from all three services, but I don't have an inventory (I usually look after lighting and scenery). The store is open every Sunday 10:00-12:00 and is just off M25 Junc 17/18. I would suggest that the best thing would be for you to go down and have a look. I know we have done a number of WW2/1940s/Music Hall events entirely from our own wardrobe so there must be something to fit. (we have cast members of all sizes)

If you need any more details, PM me.

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Archived