Do I need Nexo Amps for Nexo speakers?

Charleybarley

Hello Everyone,

I want to buy some speakers for the venue I work at. I was looking at Nexo but wanted to know if I need Nexo amplifiers to go with them? I will buy Nexo controllers but would the sound be greatly compromised if I stuck with the QSC amps I have at the moment (assuming the power ratings and impedance matched)?

I look forward to hearing from you all.

I run our PS10's with QSC PLX amps and a PS10 controller, and though I accept there are better amps out there, I compared them side by side with a nexo amp/controller when I was evaluating the system, and found it hard to tell the difference. Apart from the couple of hundred pounds.

Use whatever you like just make sure they're powerful enough.

This is the key with Nexo PS gear, if you're using the sense lines with the controller, put as much power up them as you can (obviously within limits!).

Use whatever you like just make sure they're powerful enough.

This is the key with Nexo PS gear, if you're using the sense lines with the controller, put as much power up them as you can (obviously within limits!).

Thats good news, how about signal processing? Is the controller enough with its internal EQ etc or is it a good idea to have an extra signal processing unit?

Hi Mate,

You know that the Nexo amplifier has the controller built in? They are built by Camco, and are (in my opinion) very nice.

It may work out cheaper instead of buying a controller and two amplifiers.

Thanks

Mike

Hi there Charly Barly,

What have you considered as alternatives to Nexo? What sort of work will they be doing? The PS series has been a default for installs for some time now but there are options out there. In particular, if you plan to expand the system the Nexo LS series subs really are a let down. Also, being tied to using their processor is a pain.

Hi there Charly Barly,

What have you considered as alternatives to Nexo? What sort of work will they be doing? The PS series has been a default for installs for some time now but there are options out there. In particular, if you plan to expand the system the Nexo LS series subs really are a let down. Also, being tied to using their processor is a pain.

I'd like to disagree with steve-o. In my opinion and many many other engineers opinions nexo subs are the best sounding subs out there and being tied to a nexo controller isn't a pain unless you want to use different speakers, but if its an install then it really doesn't matter!

I'd still like to know what else Charly Barly has considered?

Sipie, I've had good shows on the Nexo S2 and CD series subs but the LS1200's have never performed well for me. I had a set that started life as part of a Nexo PS10 club install. Firstly they were retired from that role, then they made it into my hire inventory for a while, usually sitting below Martin F12's but then we retired them from that and tried to use them as low end on a drum fill and that didn't work either. They ended up back in the club as table somewhere.

If you want some proper subs, check out the EM Acoustics range. Their top boxes sound stunning too and they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

He'll also be able to use a processor from XTA, BSS, DBX, Xilica or who ever which does lots of useful things and is not just there to compensate for inadequacies in the performance of the loudspeakers.

End of rant.

I'm going to side with Steve-o on this one. The Nexo PS series is a really nice system - but there is better out there now. Having personally run some A-B comparisons the sub is the main let down - sounding a bit muddy.

Saying all that, I know of someone looking to shift a relatively new PS10 system as they are trading up. PM if interested and I'll put you in touch.

And now, back to the original Q - yes, you can run the Nexo system with whatever brand of amps you fancy - obviously using their controller for system control.

Steve

I'm going to side with Steve-o on this one. The Nexo PS series is a really nice system - but there is better out there now. Having personally run some A-B comparisons the sub is the main let down - sounding a bit muddy.

Saying all that, I know of someone looking to shift a relatively new PS10 system as they are trading up. PM if interested and I'll put you in touch.

And now, back to the original Q - yes, you can run the Nexo system with whatever brand of amps you fancy - obviously using their controller for system control.

Steve

Thank you for your comments, we are going to arrange demos of as many brands as possible. The venue is a 1000 seat "theatre". A semi circular thrust stage with the audience sat in a semi circle around it. Two balconies and seating under a lower part of the ceiling so we need lots of fills all over the place. What do you guys think of D&B? Can anyone recommend any good suppliers?

Oh forgot to say it is for recorded music reproduction and talking on mics amid a very loud audience!

Hi Charly,

I think your best bet would be to get in some people who have experience designing systems for theaters. No matter how much you are prepared to spend on speakers, unless someone does the maths properly the speakers will never deliver their optimum.

Autograph Sales are always incredibly helpful and have absolutely masses of experience in this area.

All the best

Steve

d&b are fantastic. At the moment id have to say they are my go-to brand for most jobs. (by that I mean im open to anything but I'll always check out d&b). We use C-series, Q-Series and E-series extensivly and also J-Series occasionally and all of them are fantastic. The Q system is particularly awesome.

For suppliers give SFL and Wigwam a call

Archived