learning to rig

alex_kyuss

Hi all

Im interested in learning to rig. The company I work for doesn't do that much so I would need to learn some were else. I no stage electronics do a cource for around £99, has anyone done the cource and is it any good? I was thinking going to a local rock climing centre were they do abseiling classes and harness use classes, before doing any proper cources. all advise is welcome please

cheers

Alex,

Courses are fine and have their place, but do not make you a rigger. To achieve competence, you need a mixture of training, supervision, experience and knowledge.

The courses at Total Fabrications are good, but I'd suggest that you also read Chris Higg's books to get the background theory and practice, then find a firm that does rigging and bend their arm until you can go and watch/shadow/work with them to get practical experience.

Have a look at the requirements of the PLASA rigger certification scheme to get an idea...

Simon

Look here http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=4569 specifically post 4

No course will teach you, no book will teach you, no experience will teach you alone. You need to have theory, practise AND legislation, all together with all the current codes of practise.

Do not get too alligned to sport climbing (unless that is your sport!). Sport equipment usually does NOT comply with the work standards. Sport methods do not directly equate to work methods - though there will be crossover.

Read Chris Higgs book (linked above) and go on a short course then look for opportunities to join a rigging company as a junior. A good understanding of WAH and LOLER would help too.

Cheers I no its a very difficult thing to get into doing, especially being one of the more dangerous jobs to do. I want to do it properly. I guess the best bet is to ask at work and read and do the cources and see how fare I can take it.

Do you not think doing a "climing style cources" would help? I will be starting to do some rock climing just for fun and fitness so althought its not the same its still use of harnessess what you think?

cheers

If you want to rig, most places won't let you leave the ground for a good while. They'd probably expect you to spend time working as a 'Ground Support' or something simillar. Basically working as the assitant to the man up in the air, pulling chains, trying the right kit onto the ropes at the right time in the right way and slinging truss. That way you gain experience of working with the kit and show your willing to get dirty, sweaty and tired. (Ever tried pulling a 20m motor chain up?). Once you have become good at this and shown yourself as trustworthy, you might then start to work in the air with another rigger. I doubt that you'll be used for climbing work untill you have shown yourself as safe and competent, and as a 17yr old I doubt that they'd let you do that for a year or so.

By all means undertake sport climbing for experience. I would suggest that you read Chris Higg's books, and then get on a total Fabs course for three days. Then contact the rigging co's and put yourself out for starting at the bottom.

I don't know a lot about theatrical rigging, but I have rock climbed for many years.

The kind of skills you will learn about rigging ropes and anchor points in outdoor rock climbing, are not very likely to provide you with the type of knowledge you need for this industry. You may learn a bit about anchor points, spreading the load equally between them and working out the load directions. But the heaviest thing you ever lift climbing is yourself, and you generally avoid doing that with the ropes where you can help it!

The anchor points generally consist of jamming bits of metal into cracks in the rock or tying a bit of rope around something big and heavy. There is obviously some skill involved in recognising the right type of crack and which piece of metal to do it with but, I would very much hope that this method is not used for hanging truss from a ceiling in a theatre... no matter how many cracks there are! :welcome:

Climbing indoors you will most likely not have to do any rigging, generally you turn up and clip in to the rope which is already there with knots already tied (at least at the indoor places I have visited) Oh and in terms of learning harness work, wrong type of harness, and well wrong type of equipment mostly!

By all means learn to climb, it's great fun, keeps you fit and will get you used to being at heights but, unless I am very much mistaken you won't gain very much rigging experience from it.

Matt

I have to agree with the above. While I used to be a climbing instructor and love climbing there are a lot of differences, in fact a lot of the techniques you learn in climbing can be seen as very bad practise if used at work. Thats not to say it won't help you gain confidence and fitness, just bear in mind the skills you learn probably wont be as directly interchangeable as you might expect.

Have fun!

Ike

(Off to Saddleworth to get a bit of climbing in while the weather is still nice!)

Cheers for the help guys. Im going to start climbing for fitness and fun. I'll have to look at total fabs cources, they seem the right thing.

But as it seems to be the case, alas I can find a company to get work from, I think im unlikly to get the practise and time doing it to get to a good enough standard. But all I can do is try. cheers everyone :welcome:

Maybe you could also consider looking at an IRATA (Industrial Roped Access Trade Association) level 1 course.

It wont teach you to rig but there is some crossover in equipment and techniques used.

From The IRATA web site

'Rope access is a form of work positioning, initially developed from techniques used in climbing and caving, which applies practical ropework to cater for the various needs of industry.'

I did a level 1 and,although I have never progressed further as you need log 500 hours doing roped access work but have I found the training to be invaluable.

http://www.irata.org/

• 3 weeks later...
I did a level 1 and,although I have never progressed further as you need log 500 hours doing roped access work but have I found the training to be invaluable.

I've done my level1 as well. In the industry side of things the techniques and working practise are great for the safety side and it helps you think a lot about what you are doing!

By the way it has now gone up to 12months and 1000hrs before you can progress above level 1!

Sam

Archived