Wireless Bass

Ken Coker

I have used the Samson Airline with my bass for quite a few years now. As below, I love it, but I think all wireless systems suffer a bit with lack of bottom end for bass.

Love:

No cables - when I go back to using a cable, I'm always tripping over it.

Battery life - a single rechargeable AAA lasts for a good 10 hours or more.

Reception - never any dropouts - ever. I play a lot in an old church building, and it works throughout the venue, and even through thick stone walls - way beyond the limits that latency imposes on the ability to play.

Tiny form factor.

Hate:

Doesn't have the bottom end of a cable link. I'm generally happy with the trade-off for convenience, but always notice the extra grunt when I do use a cable.

Hate:

Doesn't have the bottom end of a cable link. I'm generally happy with the trade-off for convenience, but always notice the extra grunt when I do use a cable

thats true...

modulated signals will be band limited, so you will more than likely loose some of that bottom end

OK then, I'm not sneering!

After all, what it sounds like matters more than anything else doesn't it? :)

With my playing I think it's better to stick to looks......bloody complicated this sound business.................most amusing, however, that the Marshall ED-1 pedal is known as Edward the Compressor... not that I've been researching this stuff you understand.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

KC

otherwise I have found my bass playing goes out of time to that kick drum the further you get from your amp. damn latency.

Hang on.....

Is it really THAT bad?

Are you sure you are not getting a delay hearing the kick drum the further away you get, thus playing out of time, and then getting a further delay from your bass amp if you are a distance from that aswell?

Rob

As hinted at above, most 'guitar' radio systems do not have a freq. response that extends low enough to reproduce the fundamental of very low notes. Check the one you buy with your rig on an open 'E' (or 'B' if you have a five string.)

Even if you can't quite get the fundamental, you may get enough harmonics to do the job.

I play a 6 string, and the bottom B (30.86Hz) is a bit weak The spec for the transmitter pack suggests that in fact, the first truly within the 3dB spec note is the D string. E sounds fine to me (although as has been said, not as good as a hardwired connection).

The Trantec receivers have a receiver frequency response starting at 30Hz, but the receivers start a lot higher (it says)

32 Channel Capability

Integral LCD Display

User controlled Digital Gain Adjust

Available with high quality uni-directional dynamic head MU-48C or condenser head

Frequency Range: 854-862MHz

Power Output: typ 30mW (24MHz -1dB)

Audio Frequency Response: 70Hz-18kHz (-3dB)

Dimensions: 235 x 50 x 30mm

Weight: 200g

otherwise I have found my bass playing goes out of time to that kick drum the further you get from your amp. damn latency.

Hang on.....

Is it really THAT bad?

Are you sure you are not getting a delay hearing the kick drum the further away you get, thus playing out of time, and then getting a further delay from your bass amp if you are a distance from that aswell?

Rob

nahh I have never had it that bad, I was just commenting. I do proud myself on my very in time bass playing. I just think it makes life more complicated having to work around yet more problems.

I play a 6 string, and the bottom B (30.86Hz) is a bit weak The spec for the transmitter pack suggests that in fact, the first truly within the 3dB spec note is the D string. E sounds fine to me (although as has been said, not as good as a hardwired connection).

The Trantec receivers have a receiver frequency response starting at 30Hz, but the receivers start a lot higher (it says)

Audio Frequency Response: 70Hz-18kHz (-3dB)

so even your B an octave higher ( just over 60 Hz ) will have over a -3dB cut if using the Transtec receiver.

this making you have to create a face a bit like this one on your amp graphic :) just to retain that lovely sound that basses were designed to make :)

But it still can't amplify what isn't there...... So you often just get alot of horrid loose noise down there.

There isn't THAT much bass at the top end of that frequency scale, 18kHz. my guess is this is a unit for either guitar or bass, where as bass will lose alot of the low end. Too much of it IMO.

Archived