Smoke Operators?

Andy!

This depends on your smoke machine. Most cheap Smoke Machines require either a button to be pushed or a pot to be turned. However the more expensive ones can be pre programed.

Also if you have one wich requires manual control, I have always found that it is preferable to have control at the back of the room probably with the LX op. This means that they can controll the amount of smoke on stage and ensure that the stage is visible.

Most smoke machines can be controlled by the LX op - either via DMX, or an extended remote - alot work on 3 pin XLR (up the multicore) or Mono/Stereo Jack (up the multicore, with dongles), so it makes sense for it to be done by the LX op who can see the stage.

There is a little LeMaitre? that can be used anyway after you've disconnected the power for 10mins, so this can be done manually.

And some of the large monster low foggers are operated from the buttons on the machine...

Stu

Hi

On some of the big ones you cant just plug it into an extension lead and switch it on and off from the LX Box because: a) they need to heat up and b) turning it off when its in use can damage some of the more expensive hazers/foggers. don't ask me why but apparently it can!!!

But as for extending the controller cord I don't see any problems with that.

Nick

we ran 50 metres of IEC to the back of a hall for a show to control an antari F-80 once. until we realised it was a crap idea.

I dont trust those machines - dont like the idea of mains going through a remote control. it shocked me once, it did. just after I'd washed me hands...

turning it off when its in use can damage some of the more expensive hazers/foggers. don't ask me why but apparently it can!!!

Lots of haze machines especially (in particular the Le Maire Neutron STAR comes to mind) do a self cleaning cycle when you power them down on the machine - if you power them down at the wall socket they can't do this and rapidly get bunged up.

most of the nicer ones have a DMX remote of some sort with them - I.e the magnum series[scary smoke as it is known here B-) ]

you could easily make up a good length of extension line to the lx position if you aren't using DMX already.

the neutron is best left on for most of the night in a secluded spot for a largish venue.

and the lampie usually does it if needed , or for dry ice, there is usually a crew member to bod it as needed.[the bod is told by the dsm when to move the CO2 into the water]

cheers

andrew

most of the nicer ones have a DMX remote of some sort with them - I.e the magnum series[scary smoke as it is known here B-) ]

you could easily make up a good length of extension line to the lx position if you aren't using DMX already.

The Martin Magnum series require an extra control unit to run by DMX, which I believe you can get from a Martin Supplier. You can however extend the standard remote using a normal 3p XLR Mic lead and place it by your desk.

Smoke machines such as the LeMaitre G300 come with DMX as standard, these you can just hook up somewhere in your existing DMX chain (or even better on large rigs, via a DMX splitter) and control from the desk- the G300 uses two channels if anyone's interested.

(BTW- If you're using an analogue desk, the G300 requires a 7pin (?) XLR extension- not the kind of thing anyone I know has long lengths of hanging around.)

'Lo

Most smoke cues during productions I have worked on have been done via a member of stage crew. Usually the smoke needs to go onstage by an entrance that can't have a smoke machine blocking the area. With an operator they can gauge the amount of smoke whereas remote operation can suffer with faults because the machine has been knocked, unplugged or moved.

Hazards to watch for when using an operator - fluid spill, the smoke end of the machine can get very hot so watch out for people and scenery. Also some machines have to be plugged in to work so mind the trailing cable...

• 3 weeks later...

Jem make a few DMX foggers:

ZR12 DMX

http://www.jemsmoke.com/product/product.asp?product=zr12dmx

ZR33 High Mass

http://www.jemsmoke.com/product/product.as...uct=zr33hi-mass

Also this might be useful for hard to reach areas:

http://www.jemsmoke.com/product/product.as...oduct=clubsmoke

For the budget machines which use IECs on the remotes chauvet make a converter costing around £20

Hope this helps,

Jim :D

Archived