LOLER Testing

Brian

• 5 months later...

Quick question - my local venue has 32 single purchase hemp sets (all real hemp) They're visually inspected annually but that's it - the ropes were changed 4 years ago and the new rope had a cert for breaking strain. What are the requirements for annual testing?

I've been away from it for a whil eso just trying to catch up.

Quick question - my local venue has 32 single purchase hemp sets (all real hemp)  They're visually inspected annually but that's it

LOLER isn't 100% clear on this, but my reading of the law is that hemp sets would fall in the same category as spansets/slings, and thus should be inspected at least every 6 months rather than annually.

And as far as I can tell, lifting stuff doesn't have to actually be tested every inspection, just inspected for wear and tear.

However, I am not a rigger or a civil engineer.

What about proof loads where they hang the required weight including the safty factor to check it can take the strain?

I could be cofused here as I used to carry out destructive testing on steel wire and swagings as well as proof loadings but not in this industry

What about proof loads where they hang the required weight including the safety factor to check it can take the strain?

You don't need to do that annually, and not sure if you actually load it up including the safety factor (often 8:1) as that would take you near the breaking point and you'd risk doing a destructive test?

What about proof loads where they hang the required weight including the safty factor to check it can take the strain?

I wouldn't think that proof loading a hemp set would give you a useful test.

I'm pretty sure the main part of load testing steel lines is measuring the extension of the wire as it stretches - if this is too large at whatever multiple of the SWL it should be tested to, it fails.

Hemp stretches differently depending on a great many factors, especially humidity, which makes it seem (to me at least) that the only useful testing is destructive testing of a sample.

I could well be wrong though - this is all from Uni theory and a small amount of experience with sisal and hemp ropes.

<obligatory_warning>

If you are worried or unsure, do get a professional in!

</obligatory_warning>

LOLER requirements are simple.

The employer must appoint a competent person (if you need to ask if you are competent about something, you aren't)

The competent person decides on the type, frequency and extent of the inspection (which will vary depending on the type of equipment), and on if a load test is required.

Most people default to 6 month and 12 month intervals,

accessories (things that can't do any lifting by themselves) and all other equipment respectively.

LOLER also allows a risk based approach - a formal written scheme drawn up by competent persons instead of a fixed interval

approach.

The competent person does not have to be 'outsourced' but must be sufficiently independent of management to be able to act impartially.

Many businesses opt for third party inspection and test for obvious reasons.

"Test'' does not necessarily mean load test. The test may be made against a set of criteria that can be tested by simple visual checks.

Hemp sets probably would not be loaded except after initial installation, but hoists almost certainly always will be.

If a test with a load is needed, it is unlikely to exceed 1.5 x SWL or 1.25 x SWL for powered equipment.

Many common rigging items are never proof loaded, nor should be. SWL and similar information is generally determined by sample and type testing.

Blue Roomers should not normally get involved with testing unless that is what they do for a living.

Most towns have people who have the kit and skill but not necessarily the understanding of this industry and require good briefing.

There are more and more companies starting to offer this service.

Make sure that any certificate complies with LOLER. Many inspections do not.

Check LOLER ACoP p56 for details!!

Thanks for clearing up a few questions I have had for some time.

I have just one more that has been niggling me since I did teh ABTT flying course. How do you proof test a hemp line with a 100Kg weight limit?. The ABTT flying course mentions that it should be taken through all normal operations, i.e. haul out, tie off, release and lower back in - all with well in excess of 100Kg on the lines!

Regards

Ellis

Archived