Balanced XLR to Lemo on Trantec transmitter

bigglesuk

My church is using a Trantec S1000 beltpack to transmit an Aux send to a room upstairs. Currently we have an XLR to jack converter plugged into our MH2, some form of jack to mini jack cable, then a mini jack to lemo cable.

So, I would like to make up a cable that will go straight from a balanced XLR connector to a Lemo connector. I found this page on the Trantec website (http://www.trantec.co.uk/html/p_Tech_Info_Lemo.htm), but I can't figure out how to wire the lemo end.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam

Does the audio source need phantom power. The 4 pin LEMO has 9v for phantom powering a capsule on the indicated pins.

LEMOs are not easy to solder for their size.

The audio source is the output of a Soundcraft MH2 auxiliary send which is on an XLR output, so it doesn't need power. I've just seen that Trantec do an Lemo to female XLR cable but that is almost £40!!!!! Was looking to maybe re-wire our current cables/connectors.

Edit:

Looking at it again, Pin 4 is the main audio signal without the power (seems I have put my brain in now). That should be wired to pin 2 of the XLR connector and then pin 1 on the Lemo should be wired to pins 1 & 3 on the XLR.

Can anyone confirm that before I hack the cables to bits.

That'll certainly get the signal into the pack. But it'll be unbalanced (this might not be a problem) and it'll be at line level while the trantec pack will be expecting something at mic level or thereabouts.

I suspect you may have to experiment with attenuators.

Unless the MH2 has transformer balanced outputs, I would have thought you shouldn't short pins one and three together, just use pin one for the earth of the audio, leave pin three floating.

If it's working OK with 3 converter cables, I imagine it'll still be OK with just one.

Can you meter up your three joined cables, then make your new one the same?

If it's working OK with 3 converter cables, I imagine it'll still be OK with just one.

Can you meter up your three joined cables, then make your new one the same?

I need to check them out with a meter to see how they are wired, only thing is my dad blew up the meter that I used to use. Managed to put 240v through it by plugging in one of the probes in the wrong socket!

One thing I have noticed is there is a lot of noise/level on the auxiliary output which the cable is plugged in. Disconnect the cable and it goes, so think the current cable is wired incorrectly at some point in the chain.

As for not wiring the earth to the negative, what is the standard rule on this and reasons behind it. I've seen many manuals that seem to suggest for unbalanced cables that's what you should do. The same thing happens when using a mono jack in a stereo jack balanced output, it connects the earth to the negative.

Adam

I have a couple of these in my bodge case - The gain control on the tx pack has a pretty wide range, and using just pin 4 for audio, and the ground works fine - the 'unbalancing' of the XLR doesn't cause me any problems on my kit - The Trantec guitar cable uses 1+4 too. When I'm pushed I often send audio from the groups of my desk, via the XLR output to an old 1000 transmitter pack, and it is also fine fed from the loudspeaker pins on Tecpro headset packs - so you can transmit intercom audio - the Trantecs are pretty useful in terms of what they will accept.

Archived