PA Hire company in Stoke On Trent

Heapsy

Hello,

I have a live recording next weekend and need 30 x 10m black mic leads, its in a place called Burslem which is apparently near Stoke on Trent.

Does anyone have a contact for a hire company in Stoke or alternatively if you have the required kit please PM me.

I know I could google them and I have, but I prefer to use a recommended company!

Thanks in advance,

Heapsy

I know I could google them and I have, but I prefer to use a recommended company!

3guk: are you saying that all companies on that site are personally recommended or would your link be very similar to a Google which the OP specifically didn't want? :** laughs out loud **:

Well, I can answer that one easily. They have just googled or collated from emails and posted up what they found. I just tried a few of the links and found many splendid companies, but the blurb is what many had on their websites quite a while ago, and some very obvious ones are missing. In my own part of the world there are at least a couple of people who could supply this kind of stuff, and they don't get a mention, and one that does sub hires kit from me, so I know they don't have 30 black XLR leads.

The OP wanted recommendations as to firms people could say were good to deal with - the referal to the ukslc site doesn't help at all, despite the good stuff on there. All they have done is collate a decent list of suplliers, but they don't recommend them

The important bit is

From single speakers to concert sound, we list all of the hire companies in the Uk. Band PA, Concert PA, Sound Engineers and much more.............

If you would like your company to be included in the directory for free then please contact........

Well, that kind of says it's just a list - perhaps a bit of a lofty claim to say 'all' - but a good collection, and it must have taken some time to compile. However, the only requirement to get on the list is an email - no attempt at a quality check - so has to be taken at face value.

First of all I’m curious why you only need to hire the mic cables? If you are bringing the recording gear, or someone is providing it wouldn’t it give more peace of mind to source the mic cables from them?

Burslem is one of the six town in the city of Stoke on Trent. Stoke, which is another town not too far away is referred to simply as Stoke. So technically and as far as the locals are concerned Burslem is in Stoke on Trent and Stoke is not Stoke on Trent.

It has been a while since I have had any dealings with them but one local provider is Bullet Sound. Contact details can be found at their web site.

http://www.bulletsound.com/

There is at least one PA hire company in Newcastle Under Lyme but I don’t have any contact details and I only found out about them after a mix up at a local jazz festival I was working at.

Slightly further away in Nantwich is Larden Green Studios. I’ve worked with Al Dean the owner and would highly reckomend his services. Whether it would be worth him delivering 30 mic cables from Nantwich I don’t know. His contact details are on his web site.

http://www.lardengreenstudios.co.uk/

3guk: are you saying that all companies on that site are personally recommended or would your link be very similar to a Google which the OP specifically didn't want? :** laughs out loud **:

My bad I didn't read the topic all of the way through. That said at the same time, does one really need a recommended company for mic cables, its not like there is a hell of a lot to go wrong really is it ?

I disagree,

cables are what hold your system together (hopefully not literally although with a good quality cable you can do*)

Quality cable and quality plugs (and someone who can solder) can make the difference between a good show and lots of crackling on the lead vocal mic. No there is not alot to go wrong, but when it does it can have disast..dist..d. really bad results, loss of a lead vocal, massive pops and bangs perhaps causing drivers to fail etc.

Also, its important to note that whilst certain hire companies could probably move a flightcase and FIND 30 GOOD mic cables just laying there, others may not, you may clear a hire company of their entire stock. This is fine, but we all might have a couple of dodgy ones somewhere, and to clear someones stock of cables means getting those dodgy ones. With the 35p XLR connectors which last 10 minutes or 3 matings whichever comes first.

With my hire stock, cables don't cost you anything when you are hiring other items that require them (mics, DI's, speakers etc) IMO there is no point trying to charge extra for cables, after all they're only cables, some people work differently though which is fine. If someone has hired a cable and paid money for it, it needs to work. Its like them hiring out a Q7 top and the HF not working.

Just how much can you type about mic cables.......

*oh don't be silly

Well, that kind of says it's just a list - perhaps a bit of a lofty claim to say 'all' - but a good collection, and it must have taken some time to compile.

Hmm, yes. Well not quite ALL the UK companies. I have already pointed out to them that they seem to have excluded Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales which, IIRC, are all part of the UK!

In fact they have now ammended the site to say they are going to include Scotland soon but what about poor Wales?

Thanks for the responses, my company (a recording studio) is providing all the recording gear but we only use coloured cables in the studio for easy recognition, however this gig is a DVD recording so red and blue cables wouldn't look to great all over the stage! There is very little FOH sound, it's a brass band so is mainly acoustic.

I'll look into the companies recommended, thanks again,

Mark

Archived