Hanging Mics

Sparks2020

Hi

I'm looking at the different types of hanging mic's that are available and was wondering what people can recomend? I've used some audio tech pro45's before and cheap equivilents but am looking for advice. I have also noticed CPC are doing some very cheap ones (prob too cheap at under £20?) in the latest sound and effects catalogue as well as some multi prupose mini shotgun mic's (around £35).

Thanks

I'm pretty sure those CPC ones are what I used a couple of months ago (were already rigged when I got there, so didn't get a close look). If they are then they're well worth £20 (bloke told me he'd payed £25). Obviously paying more will get you a better mic, but at that price I'd get one and try it.

Much as I hate overhead mics on the stage - for reasons covered many times - those CPC ones are very good. I've used quite a few for loop systems and have been quite impressed with them. They are quite neutral sounding - and not too bright.

• 3 years later...
Does anyone know of any low cost hanging mics available? I'm looking to use a pair to pick up a 20-strong choir. CPC appear to have discontinued their budget options, and Studiospares appear not to have anything similar. Anyone got experience of the Samson CM12C?

we have couple of samsons at work, not too bad TBH, my main gripe is the pre amp is built into a huge XLR connector, the mic then connected via this to the mic by way of a mini XLR, I have to use a short jumper as our stage box is wall mounted, and its too long to not be damaged. the sound from these is pretty good. My other gripe is the wire support feels like it's made from paper clips.

Check out prices on the Audio Technica Pro45, I use these and had not had any problems, these have the pre amp built into the mic, its around the same size as the samson, the wire support is also much better quality, and the XLR on the end is just that, so easily replaceable.

Archived