31 band 2 channel EQ's

Paul J Need

About to change over a lot of our graphic EQ's XTA's for the serious jobs, but a middle of the range for all the others. Would like to hear peoples thoughts on personal preferences on which make, Rane, BSS, KT etc. (£500-600 per unit price range)

We replaced all of our (Furman...ugh) graphics with BSS Opals early last year. They sound really good, but are a tiny bit fragile (we keep taking the faders off the front) so it depends how much abuse they're going to recieve.

I agree with Bryson, the BSS Opals seem to be nice liitle EQ's (that look pretty cool to - which is very important) although they don't seem to live up to life on the road very well.... KT DN360's seem to be the standard EQ around - although I'm not sure of the price - and don't think I've seen one fall apart too dramatically...

At Blitz we have a hire stock of Klark Tecnik DN360's, these have been extremmely relaible over the years and are accepted by nearly everyone that we work with appearing on most band riders that I have seen . Alternatively, on the cheap and cheerfull side of things the behringer 31 band eq's aren't bad for the money, about £120 I think... Just my opinions, Peter

Paul,

Firstly, I was wondering if there was any reason why you've chosen XTA over KT.

As the previous two posters said, the KT DN360 is the industry standard 2x31 graphic. XTA's other equipment is very highly regarded, but I've no experience of their graphics. I don't know how common/popular they are.

You could also look at Audient for a less-well known, but nevertheless top-of-the range, 2x31 geq.

For cheaper options, I'm not quite sure why you suggested KT, as the DN360 and the XTA both have the same list price. KT do the DN332, a 2x16 graphic which might be worth considering. Some sound engineers prefer a 16 band graphic for mains.

A company called Ashly Audio is definitely worth a look. They're an American company, not too common in the UK, but with a very good reputation for sound quality. They do a 2x31 in 2U for £695 list price. I would probably go for them in the mid-price range.

If you're concerned about rider-friendliness and acceptability, I would avoid the Yamaha 2031 and the Behringer like the plague. The latter is likely to be laughed at, and I think the Yamaha won the prize for most-hated piece of gear in a straw poll of noise boys!

However, these days, a lot of people are getting rid of their graphics and using DSP boxes instead...

IF it's a permanent set-up, the Behringer Ultracurve is a good, cost-effective solution. They are ridiculously cheap, and though a bit fiddly to set up can be left, locked out. They will also do delay which might be useful, and parametric eq. They'll also store a number of setups, useful if the venue is used in different setups or for different audience sizes or if you have multiple PAs (e.g. conference/theatre/live music).

If you want an EQ with faders, the KT360 is the standard and is lovely. It don't come cheap though!

I have just purchased some Aleisis DEQ units which have the benifit of being 1U for a 31 band stereo EQ. I know they are probably lower quality than you are looking for but they have some fun features like being able to program different "sounds" in so you can have your BAND or VOCAL setting and recal it at your will. They are also good if people are sharing Radio mic packs as you can eq to each voice and recal a 31 band setting at the touch of a button.

They have some fun inbuilt programs like AM radio, or next door neighbour, warm, mean bass, cardboard tube, telephone, etc...

Just me £200 worth or should that be 2 pence?

Russell

• 2 weeks later...
IF it's a permanent set-up, the Behringer Ultracurve is a good, cost-effective solution. They are ridiculously cheap, and though a bit fiddly to set up can be left, locked out.

I have had one overheat and crash at the most inopportune moment, letting out a horid screeching sound. Avoided since then!

Just thought I would add an updated message to this thread, as I was the guy who started it ;)

We currently have on live testing a rack of Alto EQU231LED 31 band graphics. Apart from being very cheap, the results so far are very promising. For such a budget unit they are much quieter than Yamaha 2031's, and have Balanced XLR, Balanced Jack and unbalanced RCA (phono) in and out. The only thing they are lacking is a HP filter on a fader, but do have a 40hz and 160kHz cut.

I will keep you posted if interested

Cheers

Archived