I've noticed the summer months are soon approaching and was thinking about wearing shorts to work tonight. I usually wear full blacks (black trousers, black shoes, black tshirt) as it widely considered this is the 'uniform' for theatre technicians.

My question is this, Are shorts welcomed in this uniform?, or would you consider them to be too casual?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Frazer

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think shorts are too casual, I usually wear them Easter to October though obviously this depends on where you are and what you may have to do that day.

If I was required to wear blacks on stage though I would not consider them appropriate as my white legs glowing in the wing may rather negate the reason I am wearing everything else in black in the first place.

I also wear shorts for as much of the year as possible (but not today as there was a frost on the ground this morning!)

As w/robe says if I'm wearing blacks due to the need to go on stage for a scene change or similar in view of the audience then it would be long trousers (even if I would prefer shorts) but if I am op'ing lights or sound etc. then it would be shorts all the time.

At age 56, I remember that when I was young, shorts were a sign of youth, and the "older guys" (i.e. the toughies...) would mock kids they saw in the park with shorts. Today, carpenters, teamsters and steamfitters wear shorts for comfort, without thought of protection from work injuries. I've even seen welders in shorts!

On the other hand, when I was in theater graduate school in 1974, a fellow who'd spent a year studying in the UK reported that most of the stagehands wore a tie with their work shirt. I don't know if he meant government-supported theater, or West End.

I find there's nothing finer than the subtle breeze of air conditioning drifting past your legs in the summer months whilst operating a show. Obviously though check with your line manager as to their stance on shorts length, just below knee is fine anything above and, well, just no!

I don't do fashion, and don't do shorts. Mainly, I think because I always find them rather unflattering. forgive me for generalising, but a bulging stomach hanging over the belt of black trousers looke bad enough, but bulging belly and legs that really should be covered up, white legs and black trainers looks a bit like a black and white minstrel. I always think they draw the eye, the exact opposite of the reason we wear blacks. If you're a girl and have decent legs then they actually attract the eye- well, mine at least.

I don't object to my crew wearing them if they want - just a piece of clothing I'd never consider buying. One other reason, of course is the mess their knees get into - most have scars, fro kneeling on the odd raised screw head, and side scars from sharp edges on flight cases. For safety reasons bare skin seems a little odd, when we go to so much trouble to take other precautions. We cover up eyes, ears and hands and uncover knees and shins?

I find there's nothing finer than the subtle breeze of air conditioning drifting past your legs in the summer months whilst operating a show.

How brave are you feeling, this brave? Still if you are really called Christian Dior (sorry Christian D Orr) as in your profile then you are probably wearing something much more stylish.

For safety reasons bare skin seems a little odd, when we go to so much trouble to take other precautions. We cover up eyes, ears and hands and uncover knees and shins?

I could not agree more, you still need to wear appropriate clothing for the job being undertaken what ever the weather. Summer motorcyclists in shorts and t-shirts make me cringe just to look at them, leathers are not to keep you warm and dry they are because cow skin is tuffer than human skin.

Summer motorcyclists in shorts and t-shirts make me cringe just to look at them, leathers are not to keep you warm and dry they are because cow skin is tuffer than human skin.

And I imagine it only becomes messier when they try to get thier knee down.

I wear shorts wherever possible in the summer especially if I'm working outside,although there are obviously jobs where its not practical

I tend to wear 3/4 length trousers most of the time in summer, because they're still as comfortable as shorts, yet still help stop cuts from cases etc etc etc. I keep a pair of jeans in my bag as well, just in case

SHORTS SHORTS SHORTS!!!!!

I wear shorts to work all year round (they are black) and have done so for several years.

Started because I could wear them under my leathers when on the bike, to save getting changed in a freezing wearhouse, then just carried on. These days I work on the basis that if my employer wants me to wear something else then its thier job to supply it. Besides if the show is that boring that the audience is looking at me rather than the show then the company has bigger things to worry about than the state of my leg (and yes I do mean leg!!!)

I am considering gettig my legs out soon as well. I have a couple of pairs of black work trousers, made by the lovely snickers, with built in kneepads, which I wear all year round. The kneepads are to avoid injuries from kneeling, as too many years as an apprentice gave me a hatred for kneeling on nuts when working on scaffold towers, so kneepads were bought. I bought a pair of snickers shorts a couple of summers ago. They are exactly the same as my trousers, they just stop above the knee, where the pockets (useful bits) run out. I wear them for fit ups and outs once the weather improves. I appreciate everyone's point about trousers preventing damage, but they are a comfort issue. I'd rather leave my legs open to a little damage than be uncomfortably hot.

And, yes, they do get put away once the fit up is over, and the long pants come out for the show. It's all about image and looking presentable. If work was outdoor I'd think differently, but it isn't.

One thing though. My shorts cost the same as my long trousers. For less material. That I never figured out.

Unless the weather and working conditions have changed drastically over the past few years, I'm putting my head on the block by stating firmly that people are giving excuses for wearing shorts. Of course everyone has a personal preference, and I guess could wear a kilt if they really wanted to be cool (or cool). It wouldn't be quite so bad if they were shorts, but most people wear Eric Morcombe style long shorts - that are just baggy trousers that hang just above or just below the knee.

In todays society, choice over safety wear is not a decision for the wearer - it's the employers. With shorts, nobody so far has had a 'short induced' accident. but just one severe laceration to your bare leg will almost certainly mean a blanket ban on wearing them within the venue.

Fashion, in itself, isn't a problem - I don't like shorts (if they are the baggy Eric type) but I'd wear cut-down jeans. Totally irational - that's what makes it a fashion decision - and I'm in a fashion scene of just one - me!

Perhaps we should post up a few pictures of people wearing them and see what everybody thinks. Maybe not even just us? Next time you have some net time free, hunt for pictures of good and bad examples and link to the images so we can all nod or shake heads.

http://www.earsmedia.co.uk/grum2.jpg

I should probably qualify my statement with the fact that we have to maintain our stage at 24 degrees C, so the temperature at the top of the scope is more like 28-30. The shorts become quite important then...

Archived