New High End Console

3guk

Hi All,

You can also get all the info from the High End Systems website. Here are a few links.

Press Release: http://www.highend.com/news_events/news/ne...asp?news_id=390

Product Page: http://www.highend.com/products/controller...dHogConsole.asp

and of course a movie of the Road Hog: http://www.highend.com/HESDirect/roadhog/

Cheers

Chris Ferrante

HES

Good god...it has it's own lighting rig built into the bottom of it.... :)

So, it's basically a slightly cut-down Hog3 without a separate processor crate and with an XP embedded base? Or did I miss something fundamental? Looks good - a worthy replacement for the majority of the jobs that the Hog 2 used to do.

What does that red light on the top (ie, right in your eyeline!) do? Shoot killer laser beams? ;) Can you turn it off?

Is it going to supercede the iPC? Or is it planned to run both consoles as alternatives?

If you look at the video, it would seem the red "laser beam" is actually the LED from the memory stick. The guy shows the stick and then shoves it in (just like your favourite "art" film you keep hidden under the bed).

As it's XP based, and Hog 3 is Linux, is the software Hog 2 or something new?

It seems to imply that it's a XP version of the Hog 3 software - probably spun off from the Hog 3 PC software.

And Hog2 proper is Linux, too, for that matter.

I think the first thing I would do is get a different USB stick that doesn't have a red light right in my eyeline!

And Hog2 proper is Linux, too, for that matter.

The Hog 2 Console doesn't really have an OS in the usual sense. All the functions that the console requires, that an OS would normally provided were written from scratch, and built into the Hog2 software. Hog3 is the only FPS/HES console which runs on Linux. Hog iPC and RoadHog run on WindowsXP embedded.

Martin

So, it's basically a slightly cut-down Hog3 without a separate processor crate and with an XP embedded base?

XP?! Gosh, does this mean you have to install anti-virus software, subscribe to regular updates; reinstall the operating system once a year............. and even when you think you've deleted a show, XP will always a keep a copy of it hidden in some obscure folder ;)

Nice lights tho; at last one will be able to see when one spilled ones coffee.

XP?! Gosh, does this mean you have to install anti-virus software, subscribe to regular updates; reinstall the operating system once a year............. and even when you think you've deleted a show, XP will always a keep a copy of it hidden in some obscure folder ;)

Paul,

In your reply about XP your missing the vital word "Embedded". Having done some development on a lighting desk that uses an XP Embedded OS, and also worked on building up the embedded OS I can say that it is very stable. As long as the components which aren't needed (read crap they put in normal XP!) are taken out of the build of the OS then it will work perfectly fine and not much can crash it! Also this was 3 - 4 years ago now so I can only guess that the OS has improved with the various updates that Microsoft send out. Also I find it interesting as to the number of lighting applications which now have XP Embedded as an OS, which must be a testiment to it's strengths, including the HES DL2 which I spotted the other day had it as an OS.

Just thought I would give you an insiders view from someone who developed the Operating System, not wanting to start a XP embedded vs any other OS debate!

Cheers

Dan

Paul,

In your reply about XP your missing the vital word "Embedded".Dan

Thanks Dan, most informative and interesting. The MOD and US Military use XP embedded systems, so if it's good enough for them......... my comments were simply a poke at Microsft iin general. I've not had the pleasure of even seeing the new Hog.

Hi Paul,

Indeed Dan is correct. The Hog iPC, Road Hog and DL.2 all run on XP embedded. We have of course stripped it bare and have been very happy with the results on the iPC and DL.2 platforms and therefore expect nothing less with Road Hog.

Cheers

Chris

HES

The MOD and US Military use XP embedded systems, so if it's good enough for them......... my comments were simply a poke at Microsoft in general. I've not had the pleasure of even seeing the new Hog.

And how many friendly fire incidents have happened :)

I also seem to remember that last year, a 16 year old German kid managed to crash, what was it, hospitals in Australia, and Banks in Japan, before he was arrested.

I am yet to find anything by Microsoft that can come under the heading 'well written'

Could I possibly be proved wrong here :D

Although I hate MS as much as the next person, I will add to this that embedded is reliable. The Avo Expert also runs on top of this and I have had no problems whatsoever.

As said, problems with Windows are caused by installing applications. Keep the OS clean and it will be stable. The comment about viruses (and hacking for the paranoid) is valid and is a annoying dilemma for internet connectivity. This, especially in a world of wireless access, would be so useful - personalities, email, support, manuals etc. but would require a subscription based AV application to make safe. Darn!

This new console looks interesting. I wonder what they consider 'affordable' though...!

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody had a play with this yet??

We have x2 hog1000 and x3 hog 500, only problems I really get is faders reacting extremely strange when ive deleted any led stuff off them, Sometimes even a reboot doesn't resolve it.

whoever wrote the line "SORRY IVE CROAKED" needs hanging. :P

Also I have just taught the newbies these desks and wouldn't want to confuse them, is it similar to the hog 2 platform??

Lightfactor are offering a good deal on both desks (road hog and hog 500) I was wondering if its worth the extra ??

whoever wrote the line "SORRY IVE CROAKED" needs hanging. :P

[Off-topic]I find myself wondering if that error message ended up in the Fr*h*og 2, where it would be much more appropriate...[/ot]

Also I have just taught the newbies these desks and wouldn't want to confuse them, is it similar to the hog 2 platform??

Hog 2 and Hog 3 (which the road Hog runs) software, wile related, are substantially different. You'd certainly need to retrain users on a Hog 3 platform.

Lightfactor are offering a good deal on both desks (road hog and hog 500) I was wondering if its worth the extra ??

Well, proper touch screens, much newer software, generally better build quality (assuming the Road Hog is built like a Hog 3). It's probably worth it - but remember the cost/inconvenience of retraining your users.

Archived