Another truss collapse in the USA

gareth

Blimey :stagecrew: - surely tho, if the client insisted on no outriggers/bases, then whoever rigged it all, or was in charge etc, would have refused to do it?

Or does it work differently in the US?

Stu

Judging by what I've heard elsewhere (which may not be 100% accurate as all information at this stage appears to be at least 2nd, if not 3rd or 4th, hand), the set designer was insisting that no bases or outriggers were used on the truss towers as they'd "interfere with the set design". The rigger argued the toss with the designer for quite some time but, by all accounts, finally gave in and rigged the thing as the designer wanted. There's some confusion as to what happened next, but one theory has it that a forklift came into contact with one of the legs (possibly accidentally, but other theories suggest that the leg was already starting to slip and the forklift was used to try to straighten it up!) which precipitated the collapse of the rig. From another source comes an unconfirmed report that a rigger was on the truss at the time of collapse.

ALLEGEDLY.

If this is true, then a big slap to the designer for insisting on this course of action, and a big slap to the rigger for giving in and agreeing to do it when he knew it was wrong.

Just been and lurked on Lightnetwork, and it does seem alot of unconfirmed stories are doing the rounds. Will be interesting to see the end turn out of it all.

Stu

Surely though if you are a trained proffesional then never mind what a client is asking for then you say no if it's not safe.

As an electrician if something tours in with poor electrical standard never mind who or what it is it ain't going up in the air.

As a person or a company you just can't take the risk can you?? Of course we don't know for sure what happened here, but if the rigger "did" give in then it's his responsibility for not doing what was required to be safe - and going against his better judgement.

Perhaps in the USA things aren't quite like over here!

Ben

It would be interesting to see what it looked like before it fell (or was it pushed?). I have built small ground supported trusses using standard trilite with no outrigging basing my risk assesment (such as it was in those long ago days) on the height = 4 times the base calculation. I never found it to be unstable. A couple of relevant factors are probably: the load (my rig consisted of minuette profiles and fresnels and a couple of 1kW starlettes (no moving heads) and spans - our overall box was no more than 8wx5dx4h metres. My impression from the photos is that this structure was tall and spindly and carrying a pretty big load (all those multis)and the rigger was of course right and should have stuck to his/her guns.

by the way, anyone read the working at height document yet? heavy going....

That really is quite nasty. It's only a matter of time before the American authorities crack down on this very very hard, this being the most recent in a spate of these. And remember, their regs and standards do affect ours, so don't assume we'll be unaffected.

Work at Height regs? Yes, I agree, hard going. The meat of it for those who don't have a lot of time is the schedules for specific types of access equipment - see if you can spot any problems there. I believe the ABTT have already had a requirement for a minimum platform width that would exclude tallescopes and genies removed from the latest draft. It'd be particularly interesting for anyone with a wire mesh thingy (RADA, Scarborough etc) to see how the regs affect them - I suspect the HSE haven't even considered their existance. Enjoy.

I'm not trying to be mean or unfair to anyone injurged or died in these events, but it seems all of the reports I get seen to always be in America, because the Justin timberlake was during their US Tour and this last one was at Las vegas,

Why do they happen in the US and not the UK, is there some differences in rules and regualtions or H&S.

Sorry if I am being offensive to anyone,

from

Jambo

Archived