Theatrical beer...

beccy

I've done a variety of drinks in the past but never beer. Are there any popular solutions? It's already in the glass. Does beer always keep a head on it, or does it gradually disappear. I just need a glass that's been half drunk. And beer rather than lager - is that normally darker?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I've done a variety of drinks in the past but never beer. Are there any popular solutions? It's already in the glass. Does beer always keep a head on it, or does it gradually disappear. I just need a glass that's been half drunk. And beer rather than lager - is that normally darker?
All depends on the beer, the temperature of the beer and how long it's taken to drink the first half. Sorry if that's not helpful, but it's a pretty wide-ranging question with no right answers.

Do a bit of research in the pub.

Obviously, this would all go on expenses as it's valid research, right?

Most beers are darker than most lagers.

Nitrogen beer usually keeps some head all the way down the glass, real ale generally doesn't.

Exceptions exist for both those statements.

It also depends on where you are! While ales served up north tend to be pushed through a number of fine nozzles (known as a sparkler) to give it a distinctive head, down south it's much more common to get a pint with little or no head.

A decent northern pint in a clean glass will tend to keep some of its head till the end and you should be able to see rings on the side of the glass where the head has been, assuming a normal drinking time of 20 to 30 minutes.

Ales can come in pretty much any colour from black Milds to very pale (surprisingly) Indian Pale Ales (IPAs).

A typical northern pint, the caption says pale ale but most IPAs and the like would be quite a bit paler. I'd say its a typical colour for a bitter although it can of course vary.

A pint more typical of a southern pub/bar, very little head, will probably look flat by about half way down with a few tiny bits of froth. Again I would say the colour is typical of a bitter.

...anyone spot the old cellar-boy?

I once played this game looking for alcohol free alternatives and possible fizzy drinks of the right colour.

In the end I found that the best way to replicate a pint, which one of the cast drank during the course of the play, was to give him the lowest alcohol beer I could buy. He was happy as it tasted OK and he was drinking it over a long enough period of time for it not to affect his performance.

...And beer rather than lager...
While some potentially good suggestions they all seem to be centred around larger not ale, as I'm assuming the original poster wants.

Edit:Doh, too slow!

Guest Kurt Muller

Thanks for any suggestions.

How about using Horehound, or that drink the Americans call "Root Beer"?

Judging by your posts, I gather the actor doesn't actually drink the stuff, but it is already half-drunk and sitting on a table for the duration of the scene. Is that right?

In that case, I'd go for the "varnished bottle with foam on top" solution. Wouldn't be too hard to cut out a round of styro to look like a foam head.

Archived