Event Planning Software

woody74

I am wondering if any of you use some type of event planning software that lets you track crew, inventory, budget, dates, etc...currently our company uses a bastardized version of File Maker 5, and it's not the greatest tool in the world for what we need. I've found a few options with the help of young mister Google, but real-world opinions trump all.

Thanks,

-w

I don't use any dedicatd software for event planning, because I don't do any events at present, however, this is something I would like to do in the future, so please all, ( especially the larger companies out there,) how do you cost a large scale event ?

I don't expect any firm to give away 'sensitive' material on an open forum, just a general guide would be nice.

Edited for Typo's

I am wondering if any of you use some type of event planning software that lets you track crew, inventory, budget, dates, etc...currently our company uses a bastardized version of File Maker 5, and it's not the greatest tool in the world for what we need. I've found a few options with the help of young mister Google, but real-world opinions trump all.

I'm actually in the process of writing some software to do exactly this for the events industry. It's going to take some time to do it, but it will be web based so you can access it from wherever you are. If there are any specific features you think such software should have, let me know, and I might give you a free copy to try out.

Cheers,

Hadyn.

IT varies, there are some dedicated companies that make software for this usage. A few people I have come across use a database in MS Access.

Some even use excel.

Personally I just use Outlook and a paper diary to keep tabs on everything and seems to work perfectly. Most of the premade solutions can't cope well with expansion or unique projects, hence homemade stuff tends to be more useful.

We use a byzantine method that involves an Excel-based calendar, hyperlinked to word documents that have the info on, and an Access database that feeds both. And some paper. And post-it notes. And Outlook. And some stuff is written directly on my desk blotter.

It works 99.9% of the time....

You should take a look at Artifax Event.

www.artifaxsoftware.com

It depends on the kind of event and the types of resources you are trying to track and plan with, but I have found it invaluable. I use it to schedule 12 different spaces, up to 26 staff and physical resources from PA's to projectors etc. It can also be used to issue invoices etc although we don't use this facility.

It's not cheap, but I know an increasing number of theatres and centres use it too.

You should take a look at Artifax Event.

www.artifaxsoftware.com

It depends on the kind of event and the types of resources you are trying to track and plan with, but I have found it invaluable. I use it to schedule 12 different spaces, up to 26 staff and physical resources from PA's to projectors etc. It can also be used to issue invoices etc although we don't use this facility.

It's not cheap, but I know an increasing number of theatres and centres use it too.

£20k plus all the add-ons??? you're right it ain't cheap.

Might be an idea to get a local programmer to make you some bespoke software, I know at uni there are people with enough spare time and desperate enough for cash to make the software. That way you get to specify exactly what you're after the software from doing, and you have a port of call if something goes wrong.

If you're worried about it going wrong, and dont mind waiting, get intouch with the local uni/school and see if someone will do it as a business partnership. That way you end up with bespoke software and a fraction of the cost you would pay a programming team to do it.

andy

The way I accidentally stumbled into IT was though bespoke databases: the Step Program to be exact. They provide you with people, in my case in the summer between he 2nd and 3rd year of my degree, who are generally perfectly capable knocking up an access database. (Ultimately it isn't rocket science). Since I (along with anyone else who does it) did it for the experience and more to the point CV improvement of it (when I still actually wanted to work in office IT. *shudders*) then I was glad to accept the pittance they paid me as an allowance, being it was way less than minimum wage (even though I could have done better paid less useful work i.e. gone back to site work), particularly as it led directly to better paid work with the company who had me.

In short you could pay students a pittance to make you shiny custom databases for you - it ain't hard. Of course you'd have to keep reminding your self you helped there CV to get to sleep at night - professionals can costs a fortune.

• 2 weeks later...

we bought easyjob over 12 months ago ,

seems to do everything, all dates auto export into outlook ect, all contacts/address sync with outlook/exchange ect, seems like good software , just need to get in to the habit of using it.

and get all our kit in to the system, (we have there pocket pc barcode thing and printer)

If your using a stock control system, in fact any database type program, the quality of the output is only as good as the input. The company that I set EasyJob up for never really got the whole inventory into it properly, so still suffer with stock level issues and miss decribed equipment. I was ademant that the time to do a total stock check was when they moved premises, but they didn't listen.....

If your running file maker, then would it not be possible for you to add further data lines and create new reports and forms to achieve what you want? That way you wouldn't be having to re-create the DB, and could just reconfigure it, sort of a repatch?

Archived