Breakaway shackles

paci5217

Hey everyone,

I am doing a play on Joan of Arc and I need to construct/buy breakaway shackles. The stage is a small black box, so the shackles need to look realistic to an up close audience. Once the shackles fall off…they need to be put back on again during the same scene. Any ideas? Thanks!

Laura

Hey everyone,

I am doing a play on Joan of Arc and I need to construct/buy breakaway shackles.

In classic Blue peter style...........

First, find a baked bean tin.

Then eat the beans & clean the can out! :D

Take off the top and bottom (Actually, having eaten the beans, one end should already be off!)

Cut the tin in half.

You should now have 2 half-size collars of tin.

Cut each one along the length of the collar.

You should now have potentially 2 closeable C-shapes.

Fix (by round-headed bolt, or by pop-rivetting a small _||_ hasp) a short length of light chain to both shackles.

Voila!

Finish by painting with a dull grey metal-cote or black and there you have the shackles.

Oh - make sure you turn over the edges of the shackles so that the sharp edges are blunted (almost forgot that bit!)

The last set I made were lined with black felt inside so as to make them less of a roughness for the ickle talent wearing them....! :D

Here's some I made earlier, children...............

they should have enough 'give' in the tim to allow them to be pulled off and then re-attached to wrists.

Archived