Working at Height Regulations

Brian

As has been previously discussed there are new proposals to introduce 'Working at Height' regulations.

It is likely that these will come into force on 19th June this year, all comments must be in by 2nd April.

You can read them here.

Guest lightnix

Consultation : The game of charades practiced by all governments, when seeking to introduce costly, impractical and unworkable legislation, in order to make it appear that they are listening carefully to the concerns of all the industries who will be trashed by it, before introducing it in it´s original and unmodified form.

Think I´m being cynical ? LOLER was introduced after "full consultation with all industries who will be affected by it" and there wasn´t a single rigging company who had heard of it, until it was too late.

Well, yes, 'nix but... (I do seem to be disagreeing with you a lot recently, don't I? Nothing personal, normally it's Tom I disagree with :** laughs out loud **: )

To give two much maligned organisations (The HSE and the ABTT) their due, I'll repeat here a comment of mine from another thread:

Work at Height regs? Yes, I agree, hard going. The meat of it for those who don't have a lot of time is the schedules for specific types of access equipment - see if you can spot any problems there. I believe the ABTT have already had a requirement for a minimum platform width that would exclude tallescopes and genies removed from the latest draft. It'd be particularly interesting for anyone with a wire mesh thingy (RADA, Scarborough etc) to see how the regs affect them - I suspect the HSE haven't even considered their existance. Enjoy.

My understanding is that the HSE are actually quite open to suggestions this time round, and changes have already been made. (I'm assuming that other interested parties had also noticed my example...the people who make access equipement for a start..)

Guest lightnix
Well, yes, 'nix but...
No problem, I´d hardly call that disagreement :** laughs out loud **: Even so...

Once again, my concern is for freelancers, who, as independent subcontractors will all have to read this (yeh, right) and act on it (oh really ?). Even if they do, putting it into practice will be nigh on impossible IMHO. By the way, before anybody starts on a "you chose that life, now live with it" type reply, just bear in mind that saying "no" to any instruction from an employ... er sorry, "client" is commercial suicide for any freelancer, regardless of the legal implications of doing otherwise :)

Sounds like 168 pages of very good reasons to be an LD/operator/programmer, if you ask me.

EDIT: See also my remarks in the Suspension Trauma thread, now split into the Freelancers and Risk Assessments thread (thanks, Rob), all comments and suggestions welcome in the latter.

• 2 weeks later...
Suddenly being classed as temprary employes (labour only sub-contractors) so all the responsibility for H&S training and implimentation falls to your employer starts to sound very appealing.

Unless they choose to only use people who have already had the necessary training.

Archived