PAR Lamps

Paul Roberts

Morning.

Last week whilst doing prep work for the annual school talent show, one of the lamps in a PAR can (Par 56) blew. I've had lamps blow before but the lamp I took out had the reflector cracked right across it. Initially I thought it was just a faulty lamp so replaced it, but within maybe five minutes of the new lamp going into the can, that blew as well in almost identical fashion. Is it normal for PAR lamps to blow in such a way that the reflector cracks right across, or could it be that the can itself is faulty? (the fact that the second lamp went right away made me quite concerned). The lamps were from a single order, so it could be a dodgy batch, but I've not seen a PAR lamp blow in such a way before. I thought I'd ask here before I try another lamp and run the risk of that blowing almost immediately.

Regards,

Paul.

A dodgy batch of lamps seems like the most likely explanation. This sort of failure isn't normal for a PAR lamp. It's also possible that it might be a fit problem - if the lamp is difficult to get into the can and requires some force to get into position, I suppose it's not impossible that the physical stress on the envelope of the lamp might be causing it to fail this way as it heats up. However, the way you word your post implies that you haven't experienced any problems until you started using this batch of lamps, so I think that's the most likely explanation. Try another one, see if it does the same thing, and if it does have a word with your supplier with a view to sending the lamps back for an exchange.

A dodgy batch of lamps seems like the most likely explanation.
I'd agree with that, although the other explanation offered may also be possible.

I have some floor par 64 that are VERY tight, and getting the lamps in is also tricky at the moment due to the re-terminated earth bond fixing, which impedes it (something which needs attention!!)

the glass envelope on a PAR lamp does occasionally fracture - that's why parcans often (but not invariably) have a mesh front. I wouldn't think it was a problem with the unit, more likely a characteristic of a batch of lamps.

oh, Gareth seems to have beaten me to it....just to add that if a significant number of lamps from a recent delivery have failed very quickly like this, tell your supplier - they ought to sort you out with some replacements.

] had that identical problem with a batch of GE 56 a few months ago

The lamps that blew were manufactured by GE; says something if you had 9 that blew in the same way.

the way you word your post implies that you haven't experienced any problems until you started using this batch of lamps

That's true. I've not seen this type of failure before, even though 3 of the 8 Par Cans are fitted with GE 56 Lamps; 2 of these came on an order from October (these are fine) whilst the third came in on the order with the two that blew, this third one is working splendidly though. It might be a problem in sending them back for an exchange as the lamps were thrown out by the school cleaners (they're like that, they'll throw anything out). I still have the receipt somewhere, though without the lamps I doubt I can do an exchange.

I bought 10 of these lamps...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/omnilux_mfl_par_64_1000w_240v.htm

...just becuase they were the cheapest I could find. Replacing an old one I noticed the new one I fitted blew straight after a few hours with a large crack from the ceramic to the edge of the lamp. Changed it and a few hours later, the EXACT same thing happened.

This happened with 3 out of the 10 I bought, yet strangely only from the same parcan shell but with all the same blow-out conditions.

Maybe a few were just dodgy or it was a 'pay what you get for' scenario but I cannot believe that because you pay for a less leading brand, you should get a lamp that will blow faster than it's suggested.

Archived