The Radio Mic petition

Stewart Newlands

Oddly, in the Stage today, the front page headline features the comment"Spectrum plan is no threat to UK theatre, insists Ofcom". I can't find it online.

Their spokeman says they won't do anything that would put in jeopardy the theatre sector. Teir research apparently shows there will be enough interleaved spectrum to meet likely demands from professional microphone users.

Watch this space!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I have just sent a letter to my MP. Hopefully he may be swayed to support our cause. I did point out that the potential effects on the 2012 games could be an embarressment and as it is more than remotley possible my guy will be PM then, hopefully he will at least consider it.

Have you seen Micro$oft's response? Deregulate the interleaved channels & sell off the rest to the highest bidder.

It's not a totally insane aproach.

The wireless technologies we use for wireless mics today haven't really changed since the 50s, and there are newer techniques being developed that permit much greater use of spectrum. The analogy is people talking in a room. In a room everyone shares the same bandwidth (the audio spectrum), yet more than one conversation can take place by people adjacent to each other. The brain can filter out the interference of the other people talking, so you can hear the person you want to. The tall foreheads are applying this to RF links, so several signals can be on the same frequency at the same time, and communicate without interference.

Perhaps switchoff should be delayed a few years.

• 2 weeks later...
re-cycle? They'll either be on ebay or in the skip! I've not come across anybody who seriously re-cycles in our industry. Most unhappily accept the land-fill charges and at least don't worry about the content. Nobody yet has worked out the return to supplier route - and it sounds a lofty aim for the consumer, let alone the business users. In my own area, ugly holes in the ground - former gravel pits, are now grassed and tree'd - very pleasant - and the few million tons of land-fill underneath will have no end of gems for future archaeologists!

re-cycle? They'll either be on ebay

erm........ that IS part of the recycling process!!!!!!! (reduce, reuse, recycle)

or in the skip! I've not come across anybody who seriously re-cycles in our industry. Most unhappily accept the land-fill charges and at least don't worry about the content. Nobody yet has worked out the return to supplier route - and it sounds a lofty aim for the consumer, let alone the business users.

maybe we should try and change that

In my own area, ugly holes in the ground - former gravel pits, are now grassed and tree'd - very pleasant - and the few million tons of land-fill underneath will have no end of gems for future archaeologists!

yes, it may look very pleasant now but have you actually visited a landfill site while it is in operation? it is shocking, especially when they show you the MASSIVE hole in the ground, and then tell you how many months it will be filled in.

unfortunately the land also has serious issues with it, the leachate that is produced is not nice stuff, to quote from wikipedia,

landfill leachate is anoxic, acidic, rich in organic acid groups, sulfate ions and with high concentrations of common metal ions especially iron. Leachate has a very distinctive smell which is not easily forgotten.

landfill leachate is anoxic, acidic, rich in organic acid groups, sulfate ions and with high concentrations of common metal ions especially iron. Leachate has a very distinctive smell which is not easily forgotten.

All modern land fill sites have a membrane at the bottom to prevent leachate leaking out. The site operator has to check for this, and also maintains the site for 25 years after it has closed. Depending upon the organic content, some sites draw off combustible gasses and use these to power local heating schemes.

Given that the UK has more landfill than just about any other EU country, there is considerable pressure to change our habits.

Of course, by the time we have to get rid of our useless radio systems, WEEE will have come into effect, and we'll have to PAY to get rid of them!

I am aware of that, the leechate is pumped out into tanks and treated. it stinks to high hell and back, and some of the nasties that get produced are hard to deal with,

there is a site somewhere that shows all the landfill sites (open and closed) in the UK, its a shockingly high number, I'll try and find it again

edit: by the way, some sites use it to generate electricity rather than heating

When you do get round to eBaying your useless radio mics do remember that your potential purchasers will be off-shore, and thus you need to be willing to ship worldwide.

UPDATE: mention in The Register, in passing, in an interview with Ofcom's chief executive Ed Richards last month.

People keep saying to me - "you've made your mind up on DDR' [the Digital Divided Review examines the uses of spectrum freed up by the analog TV-switch off - ed.] But we haven't! We absolutely have not.

We have made some proposals for a way forward, and there are complicated issues - around the HD position, around PMSE, around local TV. We have put a lot into the first consultation but I am not going to sit here and say everything we always say or talk about in the initial consultation is right. Part of the process is to flush out what is or isn't right or develop a different way of thinking about it. Indeed DDR is a very good example on this front. I would be amazed if we don't get information and feedback, which modifies our approach in one-way or another. I am absolutely certain we will see changes in this area. I am thinking for example about the conversation we have had with the PMSE people - from that we have already recognised that it is more complicated than we thought, that we need to think about a wider range of approaches to the issue.

Archived