Stopping Lav mics getting mangled

Stuart91

I'm beginning to lose patience with our stock of lav mics. We seem to go through them at a terrible rate. Everytime a large hire goes out (say 10 systems or more) we have at least one dud mic by the end of it.

Now, all of our staff and regular customers are well aware of how to take care of the mics, but even so it's hard to stop a speaker at a corporate event or a kid in a production from vigorously winding the mic round the pack etc.

Has anyone come up with good ways of protecting the mics? I've thought of applying heatshrink round the connector to relieve the strain there but I'm not sure if this will just move the problem up the lead a few inches.

Generally, we use Sennheiser ME2s, although there are a few other models kicking around.

I too, get really annoyed by this - but, have stopped getting wound up by it. The regular hirers who know only too well how much replacement mics cost even try to stop people damaging them but I guess it's life. Heatshrink maybe extends life a little, but doesn't improve performance or the look. This year over Christmas we wrecked quite a few - and annoyingly had moved away from MKE-2s towards DPAs meaning the replacement invoice was almost double! Maybe, despite the cost, they are just another consumable item to be thrown away whenever the end of it's service life is reached.

On the tour last year, the Sound Designer used JTS headsets, and gave them a week lifespan. This was better (in his view) than a decent headset, which over time would have only got covered in make-up and required cleaning even if the cable hadn't failed. As the unit was dedicated to the show and the person, they were bent to exactly fit the user, meaning the mic went exactly where it was needed. Going OT a second, we had an ADAT HD24, which ran the show, and I recorded all mics during a show to get a natural sounding performance (even heavier breathing whilst saying lines after a dancy number) which meant if a mic died, it was only a case of taking the pre-recorded channel off mute and solving the problem at the next chance backstage. We also looked at rigging a second capsule to the headset, so if the main capsule died, the second could be plugged in very quickly by the wearer.

At the school, we have 15 radio mics with ME2s and sadly, they are regular visitors to the sound guys work bench! Heat shrink helps a bit, but not too much with kids!

Going OT a second, we had an ADAT HD24, which ran the show, and I recorded all mics during a show to get a natural sounding performance (even heavier breathing whilst saying lines after a dancy number) which meant if a mic died, it was only a case of taking the pre-recorded channel off mute and solving the problem at the next chance backstage.

Excellent idea - I'm annoyed with myself for not thinking of this first. If anybody adds to this OT comment, I'll split it off - if not, I'll delete it in a few days

Going OT a second, we had an ADAT HD24, which ran the show, and I recorded all mics during a show to get a natural sounding performance (even heavier breathing whilst saying lines after a dancy number) which meant if a mic died, it was only a case of taking the pre-recorded channel off mute and solving the problem at the next chance backstage.

Excellent idea - I'm annoyed with myself for not thinking of this first. If anybody adds to this OT comment, I'll split it off - if not, I'll delete it in a few days

Why delete it ?! It's an interesting and useful suggestion as you said yourself. Seems a bit harsh to purge it just because it doesn't exactly answer the OP's question, even though it's related and, dare I say, relevant. Maybe the Mods would prefer it if there was a dedicated 'Great Ideas' thread.

I hope this post counts as adding to the comment! :)

L

I had something related as a plan - but with the instrumental tracks, rather than for vocals, so if some member of the band failed to show, I could go with last nights performance. Of course, all these schemes rely on the tape being the master, it's either playback, or band playing to click.

Hmmm... "to tape". Not used tape this century, but still the phrase lingers...

The el-cheapo CPCs sure do look attractive :)

But do they actually sound any good? I would gladly put up with, say, a 10% reduction in sound quality if they cost 1/4 of an ME2 and we don't need to worry about them getting broken. Anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison?

The el-cheapo CPCs sure do look attractive :)

But do they actually sound any good? I would gladly put up with, say, a 10% reduction in sound quality if they cost 1/4 of an ME2 and we don't need to worry about them getting broken. Anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison?

We did a side by side with an ME2 and one of the £5 headset mics at the end of last year, and the audible difference was all but negligible. I intend to look at the ordinary cheapo lav mics this Spring as well - but that's all been discussed by others in detail in the thread above.

it's hard to stop a speaker at a corporate event or a kid in a production from vigorously winding the mic round the pack etc.

Hi Stuart,

I think this is where your problem lies - If you don't give them the opportunity to do so then they can't do it. Otherwise, a bit of 'training' may help!

In an ideal situation, you'll have someone to meet the user as soon as they no longer need the mic, thus eliminating the chance of them attempting to 'neatly' pack the mic up (if the cable was long enough, you know they'd use their elbow!!). But I realise that it's not always possible, so maybe spending 5 minutes with whoever's going to use your precious (and expensive) kit is a good idea - there's nothing wrong in telling them exactly how much they cost to replace and that they are very delicate... 'come to me after your speech and I'll take it off for you' often ensures a smooth (and professional) show.

Hope this helps!

Mike

I see - not really an easy solution to that one, suppose they have to be regarded as semi-disposable.. I think your heatshrink idea is a good one - also maybe filling the connectors up with some sort of resin may help?

On the other hand, you could make a tidy profit out of the cost of replacement units.... :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stuart

With my sales hat on - try the Countryman B6. They are much more indestructible than most (and have a protactive cap that can be replaced if idiots use hair spray while wearing them...

With my sound hat on, they sound great and don't change when they get damp.

Should 'fess up that I work for Autograph - we import these mics and sell thousands a year to everyone from am dram to the BBC and West End shows.

Mike

Archived